Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke with steaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke with steaks?

My brother in law will be in town this weekend so it's the perfect time to have him help us with the 2 pound ribeye in the freezer. My question for you charcoal guys since I'm a charcoal newbie, is do you all add a bit of smoke when cooking a steak using the reverse sear or do you find charcoal (briquettes in my case for this cook) is enough on its own? If you add smoke, how much? I got a bag of Stubbs to try out if that makes a difference.
    Last edited by tugboat; May 18, 2016, 06:31 PM.

I don't smoke my steaks, but if you must, just sprinkle the chips over your charcoal fire before placing the meat on. Wet the chips and they'll smolder longer which will result in a stronger smoke flavor. A steak cooks fast enough to avoid any issue related to dirty smoke.

Good luck and post pics of the cook!

CurlingDog Here's what I'm referring to, in this photo. Meathead recommends a foil packet, but soaking in water works also.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveFromLafayette; May 19, 2016, 06:27 PM. Reason: Added a photo

Comment

I'm not interested in smoking per se, just didn't know if a bit of smoke would add some nice flavor or not. I certainly don't want to overpower the "steak-ness" so unless the consensus is otherwise I'll just leave the smoke off this weekend.

Comment

You'll have to be the judge as everyone's tastes vary, but I recommend sticking to straight charcoal.

Comment

When I add smoke to steaks I use very little wood. I am talking maybe a golf ball sized (or smaller) chunk of pecan wood and that's it. I add it to the fire right before I put the steaks on. Cook's Illustrated came up with a technique for prime rib. They didn't want to overpower its delicacy with wood but since almost the entire cook is indirect they did this:
        They skewered 3 slices of bacon accordion style and placed the skewer right at the edge of the fire. They banked the coals so the part the bacon was sitting over was just a single layer of coals and they had the bacon dripping on the edge of the coals. The bacon drippings into the edge of the coals created "grill smoke" (think about how a PBC delivers its flavor). The only thing is you've got to make sure the bacon is right at the edge of the fire. Otherwise you are looking at a grease fire and awful black smoke.

Comment

I treat steaks like any other hunk of roast. Dry brine overnight, then throw some rub on and put em in the smoke until they hit 115 - 120 internal temp, then move them to the grill over hot coals til they hit no more than 125 - 130. I use my Mav to get to the first point, then the Thermapen to finish with. And when I say smoke, I'm talking mesquite usually.

(And if the steak isn't thick enough to take a Mav probe while smoking then I won't buy it in the first place.)

Comment

• CeramicChef
            CeramicChef commented
            Editing a comment
            Amen!

If you're doing two zone cooking the meat will stay on the cool side for 10 to 20 minutes depending on thickness. That's enough time for the meat to absorb some of the wood smoke but not much. I use the Slow 'n Sear when I'm grilling steaks and I always throw a chunk of Mesquite in because......well......just because. Being honest though I don't think it really adds anything.

If you want to get a smoked flavor in a short cook chips might be the way to go. They'll start smoking immediately where a chunk needs time to ignite and smolder before it gives off any meaningful smoke. You'll be over the hot coals before it's doing anything to add smoke flavor.

Geez, I think I just talked myself into trying it for the next ribeye cook. I've never used chips before but I think I might be on to something!

Comment

• ribeyeguy
            ribeyeguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope, minimum of 1" thick, preferably 1-1/2 inches. Using the SnS though the cool side is in the 300 to 325 range. Think I should tighten up some of the vents? For what it's worth I keep the top vent wide open and the bottoms at 1/2 or so.

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            Been a few years since I used a kettle, never anything other than the charcoal trays for 2-zone. But yeah, if you can lower the temp at the start then boost it up later with the lid off before the sear it might work. (Just teasing about steak thickness. )

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Thick steaks for me are ~1hr on the cool side too, but that's at ~200deg, not 300+. I believe a very slooooow rise in temp = more tender beef IMO.

I usually throw in a small chunk of wood when reverse-searing, it adds a little hint of smoke to the meat. FWIW.

Comment

Thanks botfx, I'll keep tweaking them and see what happens. And no offense taken to the thickness comment. Although I have to say that it reminds me of my wife, she's constantly telling me that she wishes my meat was thicker. I'm assuming she's referring to the cooked on the grill meat. Yeah, that has to be it.

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              We might differ in our approach, but I think we both agree that now that we have accurate temp readings at every stage we can concentrate on getting the flavor we want.

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              Rave On REG! If BS Were Bugles you would be the Whole Orchestra with that "One"!
              From Fargo ND, Dan

I used a bit of applewood with some 1.5"+ thick pork chops and it was really good. Just a hint of smoke. After some more thought I think I'll go wood less for this first run on the grill though to see if the charcoal imparts any different flavor than gas alone compared to the last ribeye I grilled on my gasser. Thanks for the help!

Comment

I have tried lots, little, and none regarding wood smoke with steaks and I loved them all. I happen to prefer less smoke on steaks though. Some smoke yes, for instance I wouldn't sous vide and then pan sear (although I know it would still be delicious). To me personally less smoke is better with steak, but it should be there. I find charcoal to be enough.

Comment

I like to use whiskey barrel oak. Dry brine (preferably overnight), or in my case, I use Momtreal Seasoning, so I rub and let sit overnight. When the grill is giving me thin blue smoke, go from the fridge to the cool zone. I like the oak flavor with beef.
                Last edited by richinlbrg; May 19, 2016, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tugboat View Post
                  I used a bit of applewood with some 1.5"+ thick pork chops and it was really good. Just a hint of smoke. After some more thought I think I'll go wood less for this first run on the grill though to see if the charcoal imparts any different flavor than gas alone compared to the last ribeye I grilled on my gasser. Thanks for the help!
                  Going wood-less is what I recommend to get an idea of what taste you get from charcoal only. You'll have some great steaks!

Comment

Generally Speaking I Dry Brine Steaks for +- 24 Hrs! Just before Grilling I Rub both Sides with Fresh Coarse Ground Black, Minced Garlic from a Jar and Coat it With Olive Oil or Butter! I then do a Reverse Sear over a Vortex and the Weber Performer Deluxe with a chunk each of Apple and Hickory! Many Thanks to Amazing Ribs, Meathead, the Pi Boss, The Moderators and the Pit Club Members, Eunice Says it is the Best Ever and She knows Her Meat! 🤔😉👍😉🤔 Eat Well and Prosper! FromFargo ND, Dan
                    Last edited by Danjohnston949; May 19, 2016, 06:46 AM.

Comment

I prefer my steaks just kissed by smoke, so I don't add wood - just charcoal and, (of course), reverse sear.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here