Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In search of "real" boneless short ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In search of "real" boneless short ribs.

I decided it was time to pin down the difference between "boneless short ribs" and "boneless chuck short ribs". So I wound up on a page at "Chef's Resources, (link below) where I found this statement:

"Beef Short Ribs can be cut from three different sections of beef. The most common short rib cut is the Back Rib (NAMP 124) which comes from the thick side of the prime rib. A second source, called Plate Short Ribs (NAMP 123 series), is found in the plate primal, which is found in the animal’s forequarter right below the rib primal. The last are called Chuck Short Ribs (NAMP 130) which come from right under the chuck from the first to the fifth rib, and can also go by the name Flanken Ribs."

More info: http://www.chefs-resources.com/types...#ixzz48yKyf0KE

There is a ton more info on the linked page.

I then googled "NAMP beef guide" and found more info - link below.

At any rate, if you go to a good butcher you should be able to order by the NAMP number. That number for "boneless short ribs" is 123D.

Free Meat Buyers Guide PDF displays the NAMP and IMPS specifications for beef. Download the actual Meat Buyers Guide PDF manual including pictures, as well as a link to the Offal and Veal specs.
    Last edited by RonB; May 17, 2016, 09:07 PM.

Great information man!

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      +++1 on what Jerod said.😎

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      +2

David Parrish , do you know which you used for your pastrami, or have a recommendation?

TIA and wishing you well on your trip.

Comment

richinlbrg I can't say for sure which cut I had, but they cooked a lot like chuck roast if that helps.

Comment

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, thank you!

This is great info. Costco around here sells something called Beef Chuck Boneless Short Ribs. I knew they were not regular short ribs, now I know. They are mighty good, BTW.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I found some well marbled ones at Costco the last time I was there - they are in the freezer now...

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here