Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket on an 18.5" WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket on an 18.5" WSM

I'm looking to do my first brisket, currently have an 18.5" WSM. What is the biggest size whole packer? that will typically fit in there? Would it better for a first time to do just the point, just the flat or the whole packer? Unfortunately in Northern California the prices for brisket are pretty steep. Cheapest I've found is 4.29/lb, upto 9.99/lb for choice. Thanks for the help!

Have you looked in Costco for Brisket?

Comment

Cook the best of the brisket you can find. I separate the point from the flat, which will reduce the length of the beef. Also, beef will contract as it cooks. You don't want it to touch the creosoty sides of your WSM though. You can manually "scrunch" the brisket up to fit in though.

Shopping for brisket, I want it to bend easily. A flexible brisket seems to be more tender. Good luck to you.

Comment

I use a WSM for my smoking adventures. I have done a few briskets, usually in the 15 Lb. range. When I do one, I separate the point from the flat while trimming the brisket. Then I brine both Pcs. overnight. To smoke them, I start with the point on the top rack and the flat on the bottom rack. Once the point is done, I move the flat to the top rack to finish the job. I do this because I have only one Maverick thermometer and the top rack generally will be done before the bottom rack. So, I move the flat up so I can insert the leave in thermometer into the flat.
        I have managed to put both Pcs. on the top rack a couple of times, but the last couple were too large to both fit conveniently on one rack.

Comment

I called the local costco, everybody around here only sells either just the point, or just the flat. Grocery stores are only selling the flat. We have a local small grocer that carries SRF and has prime brisket, whole packer etc, but they want 10+/lb. I found a local wholesale retailer that sells to the public that I can get 16lb whole packers, I just have a feeling that it will be too big for the 18.5". would laying over a rib rack be a way to get something that size to fit? or should I be looking around a 11-12lb if I can find one.

Comment

Agree with Storlok. I separate point and flat. Start with point on top rack and flat on bottom. Once they hit about 160-165, I double wrap both in foil. At that point, I move both to the top rack. The point has always finished before the flat. The flat can take up to an hour longer. I shoot for 203 for the point. I start checking the flat at 190 and usually it is probe tender somewhere between 195 and 200.

Comment

thanks for the tips

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here