Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First real try at beef short ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First real try at beef short ribs

I know, it's hard to believe, but I've never really tried beef short ribs before, if only because as a kid I can't remember ever having any good ones. So ... as one of my goals for this summer ...

After reading up a bit I decided to get a slab of plate ribs and cook it whole, treating it like brisket with bones. Dry-brined for almost 24 hours, rubbed with Montreal Steak seasoning (almost identical to what I would make from scratch). Unfortunately I woke up late so these didn't hit the smoke until about 12:30 (I had planned on 9AM).

They hit a stall at about 165 or so for about 2 hours. Even after that they didn't want to come up all that fast, and eventually I pulled them after 7 hours total at 180 because they were probing tender and we were all starving. I felt they were pretty tender already just judging from the bone pull-back. It probably wouldn't have hurt to get another hour or so on them, but they were tender as they were.

Next time I'll start on time, and also do a full slab that gets crutched and one that gets cut in half and cooked naked the whole way to see what the differences are.
    Last edited by boftx; May 15, 2016, 09:31 PM.

Those look good, how were they overall? I too need to refine my short rib game, I've never been able to nail hem like I have with ribs, pork butt or brisket.

Comment

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, between 3 adults and 2 kids there were no leftovers and the dogs are a bit pissed. So I guess they were pretty good overall.

Joking aside, they could have benefited from going the whole distance to 200 - 205. Next time I'll start earlier and see what happens.

They look GREAT boftx

Comment

Looks great! I use my Thermopen more to probe beef ribs for tenderness than to actually temp them, Franklin style. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFVu_XwLrew I agree with him that beef ribs are about the easiest things to cook.

Comment

They look amazing!

Comment

Looks great! I cut mine into one bone portions before I cook. That way you don't have to cut them when they're piping hot and you get more bark.

Comment

I did boneless short ribs about a month ago and they came out well. Used BBBR and treated them mostly like Brisket except I didn't wrap them until I had them resting.

The one thing I noticed with these was that they were much better after letting them rest wrapped for a few hours in the faux cambro. I did a sampling before and after and the after was much better.

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              Will try that next time (assuming I get up on time).

That's a beautiful smoke ring!

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks!

I want to serve my beef rib like a turkey leg at a carnival using the bone as a handle but the meat falls off the bone, even if I leave the membrane on. I cook them until tender, usually 6 hours, but then the meat doesn't stick. Did you have this problem? Or not care about trivial things like this? I was at Blacks BBQ in Lockhart Texas and their meat stuck and was tender. Any ideas?

Comment

• boftx
              boftx commented
              Editing a comment
              It stuck a bit, but I think I know how to address that now. And as I mentioned, I pulled it off a bit early given the circumstances. Wrapping after the stall (about 170 - 175) and then a 1 - 2hr rest when it hits 200 - 205 should do the trick.

I am attempting short ribs this sunday for friends.

Comment

The pics are not coming up for me. There is a thumbnail on the bottom but when I touch them only a red box comes up center screen. I'm using an iPad. Any tips? (Insert crying baby voice here) I wanna see yummy short ribs.

Comment

• martybartram
                martybartram commented
                Editing a comment
                I have the same problem with all posts made prior to the 9th of June. Something got lost in the transition to the new server like the links from the thumbnails to the pictures. At least that is my guess.

Looks good. I would also recommend trimming all visible surface fat. I made the mistake of not doing that on my first beef rib cook. They turned out just okay, but there was too much gelatinous fat.

Comment

Like this HouseHomey ?
                Attached Files

Comment

• martybartram
                  martybartram commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's what I get unless there is a caption. Then the caption replaces "null"

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes

boftx ... Sometimes if I get over served, adult beverages, the night before I tend to over sleep.๐Ÿ˜† However if I'm not awake by 8:00am sharp my dog starts nudging me with his nose. If I don't responded to his nudges by about 8:05am he will start barking. He is like a drill Sargent. He doesn't give a damn that I have a headache. He doesn't make me drop and do push ups but he has his way of letting me know, he is not pleased and I need to stay on schedule.๐Ÿ™„

I like to slice my shortie's into individual pieces too. More bark, more better.๐Ÿ‘

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                  HorseDoctor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll trade you dogs... (except for hunting season). Mine start that nudging thing about 5:30...

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  5:30am... Oh my.๐Ÿ˜ก I would think about a lobotomy to change his time clock.๐Ÿ™„ One CANNOT neglect the nod though, no matter what time it is, unless you want to clean up a stinky mess.๐Ÿ˜†

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here