Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's your fault!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's your fault!

And Pitbull - er - Pit Boss is at the head of the line.
    I was at Costco today, so I had to check out the beef. I wanted to see if they stocked prime brisket. "All" they had was choice flats. I wasn't ready to buy any, so I checked out what else they had and ran across the below item. I didn't need ribs because I just took a small flat out of the freezer this morning, and I have another still in the freezer. But I bought them anyway because of the back and forth discussions here, and they looked so good.
    So I wrapped each piece individually and stuck them in the freezer. Once solid, I will vacuum pack them until I'm ready for them. The whole package weighed just over 3 lbs, so that's about 1/2 lb each. At that weight, how long should it take to smoke them @ 225F?
    Thanx ~ Ron Click image for larger version

Name:	A07Y3486.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	160381
    Last edited by RonB; April 25, 2016, 05:45 AM.

Guessing 3-5hrs, mostly likely the 5 range. Assuming you're talking about taking them up high like bone-in ribs, brisket, etc?

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanx Huskee - you are correct. I'm planning on going around 200F.
      Last edited by RonB; April 24, 2016, 07:12 PM.

Those are beauties!

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      And they are choice. I can't imagine what prime would look like.
      Last edited by RonB; April 25, 2016, 08:20 AM.

Those would be good done in a sous vide hot tub too... Then seared on your grill.👍

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought about that, but then I'd have to buy the sous vide....

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      They're on sale at Amazon now for $169.👍

I did two packs of those beef short ribs this last Saturday.

Huskee is right on with his timing, took me about 5 hours on my pellet smoker at 225. Did a dry salt brine for like 12 hours and then used the Big Bad Beef Rub on all 4 sides. :-)

Once done I let them sit in the faux cambro for a bit more then 1 hour. (which for me is the oven set to 170 degrees) I wrapped each pack in foil separately and then covered those in blankets. I have to say there was a huge difference between before and after letting them rest.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Guest ...

What temperature did you cook them to?

Breadhead the temp varied on them some since the sizes aren't totally uniform but it was in the 195 to 205 range. I actually pulled a few off about 30 minutes earlier than the rest because they were a bit smaller and done early.

Comment

Beef Short Ribs are flat out the best bites I have cooked on the grill. Those look great RonB! And you didn't have to pay for the bones.

The bones do make them look all dinosaur bone fun.

Cook em until probe tender, which is the 200 ish, just like Huskee said

I was trying to upload a pic of some that are Choice+/prime: so marbled! But I can't seem to upload at the moment? Oh, wait, here it goes.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	yMqSgGnQdKg8rqeugj92dsChbcdy7CdDKUUDDUT38zXsGbysbYVrz1VEClMgpHyK8A5SMRdQ1v7CGY2oQ0hteG8EfwQbOZPSwpZrE8VcEoOugRgI40YZ9TVM558i05byw_7VPPT5GgHbDBRpvqRJC3kgJF3ogQQ57J8UQU7IRBiojkq4nf0ceFNOHtukpimNcdUERu4S41mTiAs4YL709cBKqx_zdPwepbeuJr6e8kCG9tH7n-YPRCwvqATdn8R
Views:	92
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	161297

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are incredible!

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        They look super. And thanx for the info.

Huskee , this was for the big wedding cook, 225 Ribeye's. I smoked these the night before and put in the cambro about 8 am. Reheated a bit during the day. Ended up serving as after-dinner super snacks!
      ​
      But, we didn't eat them all. The Ribeyes were pretty good, I suppose! So, I iced them up and took them home. I didn't watch carefully enough, and the trays got water in them from the melting ice sometime during the icedown period. Anyway, a couple days later, we had a big all-church dinner, and smoked 17 turkeys. They were great! I pulled the Smoked Bone-In Beef Short Ribs out of the ice-box, thereby discovering the water-logged situation. We put them on the smoker and reheated...Man, they were still great! They ate every last bite.

Can't wait to have a good reason to buy another case of these! (Case is sort-of pricey...$5.50+/- a pound and a 60+ pound case.)

Comment

I'm bringing this back up for two reasons. First, I forgot to thank everyone who commented - so thanx...

And second, I was thinking that these would be great for a party and I'm wondering how these would do if cut into bite sized cubes before smoking. That way there would be bark all the way around. Or would I be better off cutting them into individual snack size, ( a length of 2 or 3 times diameter)? Of course, I could always leave them whole and cut into bite size before serving, but there would be less bark that way. I'm planning on using Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here