Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boneless Beef Short Ribs Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boneless Beef Short Ribs Question

I just picked these up at a Butcher. They looked too good to pass on, but they're boneless. Should I cook them fat cap down on the grate? I'm using the SNS.
    Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0801.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	159674

Those are awesome! This is generally what I use in my chili along with 2 lbs of hamburger. I usually smoke mine with the fat cap down and I trim the fat a little bit too.

Comment

• CRO
      CRO commented
      Editing a comment
      That's some expensive chili What do you smoke them, then "cube" them up and throw in the chili? I sometimes put in leftover brisket in mine, but some people didn't like the flavor profile. I loved it though.

I LOVE boneless short ribs. I trim most of the fat cap off for best penetration of cooking flavors when dry brining. You don't need to be too fastidious, just get most of it off. I do this no matter how I cook boneless short ribs as a matter of course. Save the fat for rendering, sausage, etc.

We serve short ribs at work on occasion,and we usually trim off as much "extra" fat as possible, regardless of our cooking method. It makes our cook much easier, cleaner, and somewhat faster(we don't have as much fat to skim from the stock, for example).

Comment

CRO It depends on the day and the mood. Most of the time I smoke them and then cube them. The other times I will cube then brown with onions. I prefer the smoked version. We have also used brisket, pulled beef and pulled pork. When I know I will be using the meat in chili I will toss some chili pepper and chili powder in the rub.
      Last edited by Craigar; April 23, 2016, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Best boneless short ribs I ever made I followed Meathead's brisket recipe cooking unwrapped until the meat hit around 175 F. I then put the ribs in a covered pan after coating with barbecue sauce. I let the heat climb up to 300 F for 45 minutes and the ribs were at 203 F. Tasted like burnt ends!

Comment

I picked up 2 lbs of boneless short ribs today, ground and seasoned it, made 7 patties and did a reverse sear on my SnS. We invited neighbors over for burgers and Shiner Bock. When they arrived, they remarked that they could smell the burgers searing from a block away. Oh yeah, and plenty of Meathead's Burger Glop! Thanks AR.com for the great recipes.

Comment

• bbqoaf
            bbqoaf commented
            Editing a comment
            Burger glop is the best.

I treat them like brisket or any other bone-in beef ribs. Trim all fat cap off to get "bark360", but if you want to leave it on for the SnS Id' go fat cap up since the temp is higher a couple inches above the grate than right on it. The fat cap is good to steer as a heat buffer if you plan to leave it on. I've never braised them like Pit Boss suggests but I don't doubt it's awesome.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here