Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Select Brisket Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Select Brisket Advice

I finally found a full packer in my general area - it was at Wally World - and they only had Select grade and only 2 to choose from. I picked the one that looked better to me, though I could have been totally wrong. What I want to know is, are there any tips or tricks to improve the outcome with a select as opposed to choice or better? Thanks in advance.

Inject....anyway, not sure if you saw this or not. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

~Gunsmokers~

Comment

Inject. Very little room for error on a select brisket. Best of luck!

Comment

I never bothered with injecting. I prefer a 2-3 day dry brine. No more than 205 intetnal and a minimum 2 hour WARM rest.

Comment

Thanks Jerod Broussard. What do you consider "warm" for resting?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Either in a 170 oven, or fully wrapped in foil, fully wrapped in a towel, placed in a small faux cambro with no empty air space.

I agree with Jerod Broussard on the nest to let it rest. I would add that you might consider panning that puppy (with a foil cover) at about 165ish internal temp. Yeah, the bark might not be as solid, but the tenderness will be there. And you can always give it 15 - 20 min outside the pan to firm up the bark if you want.

That's also a great time to trim some off the sides for burnt ends.

PS - I never inject, and I think turning a poor cut of meat into something great is what BBQ is all about.
          Last edited by boftx; April 14, 2016, 04:09 PM.

Comment

reduce beef broth by 1/2, add some salt and worscechire (sp) until it's icky then inject- leave for 4 hours then pat down, apply rub, dry brine at least overnight!

Comment

Most of what I read says acoid select, and understanding that I have limited experience with brisket I think I would inject and wrap.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here