Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket injection inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket injection inquiry

Howdy all! Picked up a nice USDA Choice 6 1/2lbs flat for this Saturday. I usually inject regular beef broth and simply salt the night before, but was wondering. Today being Thursday is it ok to just inject tonight (no surface salt until Friday night?) and let it do it's magic for an extra day? - my process is usually inject, salt, wrap over night and then before putting the brisket in the cooker I add yellow mustard and the 'Big Bad Beef Rub' - please let me know your thoughts. Have a great day!

~Gunsmokers~

I don't inject until just before putting it on the grill, but i do dry brine a good 24 hrs prior to grill time. I'm looking to maintain moisture in the injection, not looking for additional "magic" of the salt internally. Let me know how that works out... i'm curious to know the impact on the overall flavor/tenderness profile.

Comment

Originally posted by CurlingDog View Post
      I don't inject until just before putting it on the grill, but i do dry brine a good 24 hrs prior to grill time. I'm looking to maintain moisture in the injection, not looking for additional "magic" of the salt internally. Let me know how that works out... i'm curious to know the impact on the overall flavor/tenderness profile.

That's cool, but for me, injecting over night works great...I like magic.

~Gunsmokers~
      Last edited by Gunsmokers; April 14, 2016, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• CurlingDog
        CurlingDog commented
        Editing a comment
        Hrmmm! i'll have to give that a try.

Ok - injected plain ole beef broth last night. Tonight I'll add a little surface salt - then tomorrow the rub and cook. Will let you know how it turns out. With pics too. Simply being done on my 22" Weber kettle with the ole Smokenator. Smoking with hickory chunks.

~Gunsmokers~

Comment

I think the extra day will make no difference. I mean, the liquid evens itself out as best it can through the fibers, and then it spreads no more, right?

Myself, I don't like the way salting makes my pork and beef taste like lunch meat. But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
          I think the extra day will make no difference. I mean, the liquid evens itself out as best it can through the fibers, and then it spreads no more, right?

Myself, I don't like the way salting makes my pork and beef taste like lunch meat. But that's just me.

Yup - to each his/her own. I don't think it tastes like lunch meat however - but that is funny. Regarding the fact that the liquid evens itself out - the question is how long does it truly even itself out? I don't know so that's why i posted my inquiry - a few hours, overnight, a couple days?? I guess I'll know more after my cook.

~Gunsmokers~

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            It's more the pork ribs where I get that. I think it changes the texture. I'm okay with doing it the way I used to, which is using a rub with salt in it; I get the flavor of the salt without the change in texture that I don't like.

Yeah, I haven't injected pork ribs or any pork for that matter - only the brisket from the article from Meathead about cooking brisket. So far (for me of course) it has been the best method. I tried Chris Mark's Jaccard method and that seemed to help tenderness....oh well, always learning The other thing I am trying to learn is how to firm up the bark after it has been resting in the foil - in the towel - in the cooler - for a couple hours....thinking I may fire up the other Weber kettle and let it get up to about 350°F and place the brisket (indirect) in the cooker for about 10 minutes just before slicing?

~Gunsmokers~

Comment

A hot oven will do the same thing without the trouble of firing up another grill. As for the original question, I injected a pork butt once with "Butchers" and did not like the end result. Have not injected anything since...

Comment

Originally posted by HorseDoctor View Post
              A hot oven will do the same thing without the trouble of firing up another grill. As for the original question, I injected a pork butt once with "Butchers" and did not like the end result. Have not injected anything since...
              I just use plain ole 'beef broth'

~ Gunsmokers~

Comment

I've been thinking that the next time I smoke a pork butt I should cut it in half so that I get more bark. Now maybe I'll inject one hunk to see if it makes a noticeable difference.

Comment

Well, the brisket was pretty tender, but kinda dry. Also, it had virtually no salt flavor....here's what I think happened.... injecting with the beef broth two days early is a no go. Most of the broth had seeped out of the meat and was in the pan. I had done a little surface salt with mild pink salt, but that had the minimalist flavor. I also think that when I took it out of the cooker at 205°F and let it rest until it reached 170° (even though it had some beer (about 1/2 cup when I crutched it at 150°F) it may have been overdone. So all in all it was...OK. Still, I will be injecting the night before or even a few hours before next time. Will post some pics when I get them downloaded....

Comment

I've had good luck with making chicken broth out of Tone's chicken base and adding salt and ground black pepper to make it very salty and peppery. I then simmer it with some crushed garlic cloves and a couple of bay leaves. Inspired by Kenji (The Food Lab), I also add a small amount of soy sauce and marmite. If I have anchovy fillets on hand I add one. If not, I add some Worcestrershire, which is a fish-based condiment and flavor enhancer. I then let it cool and steep. Before injecting I filter it through a fine sieve or cheesecloth so it won't clog up the holes in my needle. I then inject it into the brisket and salt and pepper the outside of the brisket. I do all this the night before I cook it.

BTW, it helps to have the meat in a rimmed sheet pan while you inject, as you will make a mess.
                    Last edited by gcdmd; April 19, 2016, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gcdmd View Post
                      I've had good luck with making chicken broth out of Tone's chicken base and adding salt and ground black pepper to make it very salty and peppery. I then simmer it with some crushed garlic cloves and a couple of bay leaves. Inspired by Kenji (The Food Lab), I also add a small amount of soy sauce and marmite. If I have anchovy fillets on hand I add one. If not, I add some Worcestrershire, which is a fish-based condiment and flavor enhancer. I then let it cool and steep. Before injecting I filter it through a fine sieve or cheesecloth so it won't clog up the holes in my needle. I then inject it into the brisket and salt and pepper the outside of the brisket. I do all this the night before I cook it.

BTW, it helps to have the meat in a rimmed sheet pan while you inject, as you will make a mess.

I'm totally stealing this idea by the way...it's my duty as a new guy.

Comment

• gcdmd
                        gcdmd commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Go for it, Hardage . I promise not to prosecute, as long as you share the results with us. Let us know if you should add any modifications.

• gcdmd
                        gcdmd commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The first time I tried it I was worried that the meat would be overly seasoned. It wasn't. I think the salt helps hold in the water, as well as flavoring the meat.

Brisket at the 150°F mark and ready for the 'crutch'

Brisket done and rested (3.5 hours)

Brisket being sliced (no smoke ring this time - maybe because I used little salt?)

Brisket eatin' time (with a drizzle of it's own 'au jus')

It was OK, it was tender...but it was not as flavorful and it was on the dry side.

Thanks for y'alls posts and being with me on this experiment.

~Gunsmokers~
                      Last edited by Gunsmokers; April 19, 2016, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here