Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd ball brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd ball brisket

Picked up a prime 15lb brisket from Costco, and put it on the smoker at 3AM at 250f, expecting it to take about 15 hours or so. At 8AM it was 165, and I wrapped it in butcher paper (tryin the Franklin way) By 10am it was already at 190. I backed the smoker down to 220, but it was up to about 198 by 11am. Now, at 1PM it has actually backed down to 190. Why would it cool down?

The poitn seems to be on point tenderness wise, but the flat is still pretty tough. Should I seperate them?

It sounds like you just hit that second stall....or sometimes, as is the case when I cook too, the temp drops from handling it when you wrap it. Paper lets moisture through unlike foil, so there can be a little evaporative sweating still, less than naked but more than foil. It should bounce back up soon enough, if it hasn't already since you posted this an hour ago. The flat might not be probe tender until it's held up high for a good while. But caution, it might not need 203, it might just need more time at 195-200.

Comment

Looks like it. I am back at 199 on the flat and the point ranges from 198-202. The paper is holding in a lot of liquid...kindof wondering if I should drain it as I dont want it to kil my bark. The flat is still not probe tender at all.

Comment

Have you moved your flat probe to make sure it's an accurate reading? If that's accurate and if I were you I'd pull it from heat now and cambro that baby for about 2 hrs or so.

Comment

Yeah its accurate, I don't trust my igrill probes as they randomly get 10 degrees off. So those temps were from a thermaworks probe in multiple places.

Dinner isn't for another 5 hours or so. Think I should pit it in the oven at 175 or the cambro?

Comment

If you're at or near the 200 range in both muscles, I guess I'd do the oven at 175 for a few hrs, wrapped with the juices still in the foil, then faux cambro the last hour or two. But let's see what Jerod Broussard recommends for your situation, he is Lord de Briskete.

Comment

Yeah, the oven might be the best bet all wrapped up for a couple hours.

Then pull it and check the probe tenderness of the flat. Should be darn close. Just remember, the point will probe easy before it is really done due to all the fat.

If I got a good Choice up to 203-205 I would have no problem wrapping everything in foil and letting it sit at room temp and let it chill down. If I got down to 145-150 and I still had time, I'd pop in the 150 little oven or 170 big oven if I had more than one.
              Last edited by Jerod Broussard; March 26, 2016, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Hmm sounds like I should just set the oven at 200 then and let it tenderize. I have access to a fairly fancy thermador range which holds temps with very little swing.

Comment

I held the last prime brisket I did for almost 5 hours, wrapped in paper, then towels & then in a preheated cooler. It was still still easily warm enough to serve and AWESOME!

Comment

So how did it turn out?

Comment

Pretty good. Held up perfect to the pull test.

Comment

• Breadhead
                        Breadhead commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nice... Very nice. Well done.👍

If that is pretty good my screen will explode if you post pictures of an awesome one.

Comment

Beautiful!!!

Comment

Haha thanks. I say pretty good as brisket just isn't my favorite meat...but it was probably one of the best I've done.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                            Jerod Broussard commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I can agree with that. I cook so many of 'em it is hard to get hyped up over what I put in my mouth. I get more hyped up over finding a good looking Select.

Thanks you everyone, the family loved it!

Comment

• Breadhead
                            Breadhead commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That's the best part of BBQing... Quietly listening to them chatting about how fantastic your food tastes.👌

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here