Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Question

My last brisket was a prime grade from Costco. I trimmed and separated the flat and point and rubbed with Oakridge Black Ops. I cooked at 225-235 in a WSM 18.5. Point on top and flat on second shelf (shelf I have added that is higher up than the one that rest just above the water pan). Did use water in the pan.

I monitored the internal temp of each with a probe. Cooked each until they hit 165-170 and then wrapped in paper. Cooked each about two hours in paper but was running out of time and moved them to foil. In the foil they quickly went to 202-203. Then two hours in the cooler.

The point was very tender and moist. However, the flat was a little dry although tender. I know they are going to be different and each brisket will be different, but I would like some advice on getting a moister flat.

I did not inject the brisket. Is that a big deal?

Should I have different target temps for the flat vs point. In other words, should I target 203 for the point because of the fat but pull the flat at around 195 since it is leaner?

Appreciate any advice or technique you have to offer.

203 may be too high for a Prime flat. I cooked a Prime flat to 203 that was injected and wrapped at the stall that was overly dry, like REALLY dry. I've had better flats from Choice cooked properly.

You can inject and wrap early all you want, but if you cook past the point it reaches probe tender, you are just drying it out, like I did.

I no longer inject and only wrap once bark is established.

Comment

Jerod. How do you do your flat probe tender test? At what temp do you begin testing.

Comment

For a Prime I would start at 190-195. I had some Selects recently that were at 200 and were tight as though they were only at 185. Thankfully they were going to be chilled and reheated.

Comment

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here