Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket (and questions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket (and questions)

Trying my first brisket tomorrow on my Mak 2. This is one I've been wanting to do since I got it, but just haven't had the time. Also my first time injecting. I got it injected and salted tonight. Big Bad Beef rub is made and ready to go.

I was able to find a Point Cut at Safeway the other day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2353.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	150639

Name:	IMG_2354.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	150637

Looks like a nicely trimmed piece of meat to me. I did no trimming.

One odd thing though. When I was injecting it, I noticed that it's still two pieces with a fat layer in between:

Name:	IMG_2355.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	150640

Name:	IMG_2356.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	150642

I thought the "point" was one piece of meat. Is this really like the top of the flat and bottom of a point? And how do I deal with it? Should I cut it into two pieces and cook them separately? There's not that much holding them together.

Attached Files

Your right I consider the point the "top side" of the brisket. It looks like they left some of the flat attached to the point. Where the point connects to the flat there is usually a big piece of hard fat. It looks like they trimmed it out. This is something I usually do because it is so dense and won't render.
    I smoke them together some people separate them , slice them apart where they connect and cook the seperately. The reason is they cook differently and reach the 203 temperature at different times.
    It is a very nice piece of meat, I think you can't go wrong either way. See how you feel in the morning. You can decide right before you put it on!
    It will turn out great if you follow AR dry brine and low and slow method! You will reach hero status when you serve it to your guest.
    Last edited by jecucolo; March 24, 2016, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Many consider the "point end" of the brisket to be the thick end that has parts of 2 muscles (major & minor pectorals). The "flat" is the other end comprised of just the thinner major pectoral muscle. The seam of fat between the two is often referred to as the deckle. What you have is the point end that has been well trimmed including removing a good portion of the deckle. Looks like a great piece of meat and should cook up beautifully tender & juicy. Meatheads discussion on Texas style brisket addresses a lot of your questions on anatomy, cooking & slicing. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html Enjoy!!!

Comment

They're going on separately. I'm using two different rubs (one is a local mix we like on steaks) and because I got a bit of a late start.
        Attached Files

Comment

The results speak for themselves. Four adults ate 3/4 of it in one meal. Took about six hours. A little less than I'd anticipated, but having them split up was a good idea. The flat was done half an hour before the point. I was amazed how fast the temps went up after the crutch. My first time with that. Nice bark, thick smoke ring and tender. Yum.
          Attached Files

Comment

Home run baby!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Excellent Steve Cleveland

Comment

Wow! Looks like you attained hero status!
                Yes "the stall" is a the x-factor for me when smoking a piece of meat. It is the fun part. Then once it starts pull out of the stall it is fun to watch the temps.
                The "pit experts" around here recommend keeping a log. Its a good idea because we forget the details. Then when you cook again you can look at your notes to help take away some of the nerves. Congratulations on your first brisket!

Comment

Nice...real NICE!

~Gunsmokers~

Comment

I'd say that's a successful brisket cook, beautiful!

Comment

Very nice brisket. Kudos and congrats to ya!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here