Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoque (Chicago) Brisket...anyone get close?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoque (Chicago) Brisket...anyone get close?

Smoque is still tops for me when it comes to brisket. Has anyone come close to making the same? Its my goal for this year.

That's Meathead's favorite too. I've never had the privilege of tasting it...but have you tried Meathead's Brisket recipe, including the Big Bad Beef Rub? My suspicion is if Smoque is his favorite, his own recipe is likely to be close.

Comment

I am a HUGE fan of Smoque's brisket and yes, I have patterned my recipe on his. Those are Barry's hands carving the brisket in my photos. I think his secret starts with the meat. He uses ONLY USDA Choice.

Comment

• Chicago Erich
        Chicago Erich commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't agree more with you on the meet choice. I think there needs to be a amazing ribs field trip. I'm due for a smoque trip. Honey 1 as well.

Fat cap up can't hurt. Does he wrap?? Doesn't appear to in the videos, that surely can't hurt. I've seen them also cleaning some of that fat out b/n the two muscles pre-rub.

Comment

I'm definitely close. I went off the big bad beef rub with a slight modification.
        3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
        1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
        1 tablespoon granulated pure maple sugar (thanks to my friends in DA UP)
        1 tablespoon onion powder
        2 teaspoons yellow mustard powder
        2 teaspoons garlic powder
        2 teaspoons american chili powder
        1 teaspoon cayenne powder

I also crunched mine with beef broth (same for injecting) and I misted with apple cider during the smoke.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here