Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Problem Arose When Cooking 2 Chuckies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Problem Arose When Cooking 2 Chuckies

Yesterday I cooked 2 chuckies in my 14.5" WSM. I just did a write up at the 'Show us what you are cooking' thread. An interesting problem arose during the cook. I copied this from my write-up at the 'show us' thread:

I used my 14.5" WSM for 2 chuckles. One was 4 pounds the other 3.5 pounds. I put the bigger one on the top rack as it's a bit hotter than the bottom rack. My plan was to have the water all evaporate within 1-2 hours and then run pretty hot, in the 250-270 range and wrap if I needed to speed up the end of the cook. After a couple of hours my cooking chamber probe was giving readings that were all over the place (I've been having problems with this probe for a while). So, I pulled this probe and replaced it with the one extra probe I had which was a meat probe. I don't clip the probe to a rack in the WSM, I just push it through the grommet so it is suspended between the 2 racks. Temps quickly spiked to 285 and it took me an hour to bring temps down to 270. The meat powered right through the stall and when it reached 205 I went to pull it. The chuck on the top rack was sweating and when I grabbed it with the tongs not only was it firm but I smudged the rub. It hadn't even developed bark yet and was quite clearly still in the stall! So, I took the meat probe that I was using as a cooking chamber probe and jammed it into the meat. My suspicions were confirmed. I had 1 chuck at 205 and the other at 162. This lead me to (wrongly it turns out) believe that my other meat probe was malfunctioning as well. I got the top chuck up to 175 internal and I decided to go for another peak (the bottom chuck was now at 210). Bark had set and when I peered at the chuck reading 210 it was very clear that it was probably at that temperature. So I pulled both, wrapped and went to cambro for 45 minutes. The 210 chuck was falling apart and it shredded really easily with bear claws. As for the 175 chuck bear claws were useless. I ended up pulling it by hand. Fortunately, the meat was tender enough so that it wasn't chewy. Both chucks had nice bark, they were moist and had the best smoke flavor I've yet achieved with beef.

Here is a pic of the 2 chucks when they were slathered and rubbed to provide a visual for how similar they were in size:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0419.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	149337

Here is a pic of the chuck on the top rack. It was at 162 (after I inserted the probe) and the chuck below was reading 205 at this point. Visually, it was quite clearly in the stall phase.

Name:	IMG_0426.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	149338

This is what they looked like when they were pulled. For reference, the one that was reading 210 is on top in this pic:

Name:	IMG_0427.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	149339

Had I not incorrectly concluded that the probe in the bottom chuck was malfunctioning I would have pulled it at the 205 mark and mixed it with half of the sauce and peppers/onions/mushrooms I had and would have let the slower-cooking chuck go until it was done. I had to discard a few pieces of bark from the 210 chuck because they were crunchy. I had to discard a small fatty chunk of the 175 chuck because it was pulled before it was properly done and that big chunk of fat intertwined with beef hadn't rendered. In spite of these problems I could not have been happier with the final product. These sandwiches were amazing (you can see the full write up at the 'show us' thread).

Has anybody else experienced something like this? Any thoughts as to why 2 similarly sized cuts cooked at such different rate in a cooker that has minimal temperature variance between the top and bottom rack?

Have you ever cooked this much product on each grate and measured the grate temps?

Comment

No, I haven't. I find it easier to just push the probe through the grommet and measure temps that way.

Ernest may have. I seem to recall him saying that the temp difference between the top and bottom grate in the 14.5 WSM was about 10 degrees so I am guessing he measured at some point. The question then becomes whether or not he measured empty or when both grates were carrying food.

Comment

In the future you might want to keep a probe in each piece of meat and when one gets way ahead of the other just rotate them. I don't use your type of cooker but I do that on my BGE too. On a BGE if you have 2 pieces of meat on, 1 at the regular grate level and 1 elevated above it higher into the dome. The higher 1 will cook faster. So when I get a 30° difference in IT I rotate them. Eventually they get close to the same.

Comment

Your chuckies came from two different animals. I've loaded both grates before, temp difference is petty negligible.

Comment

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting. It surprises me that 2 similar-sized cuts from 2 different animals would cook so differently. But your explanation is more plausible than anything I've come up with.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here