Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

adventures in BBQ: Chuck rolls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adventures in BBQ: Chuck rolls

i'd been itching to smoke something for a while but my smoker's walls are too thin to do much of anything in the winter. this weekend, however, it was in the mid fifties. this is happening!

So i wanted to make pulled beef and "chuck roasts" were on sale at my meat place. when i went there, however, they pulled the ol' switcharoo on me and it wasn't "chuck roasts" like the ad says it was "chuck rolls" (and yes i did go back and check after i went there). i thought it was just a chuck roast that had been butterflied and maybe i can just slap it back together and get on with my life. nope. it was random collection of chuck parts. kind of like country style ribs. blarg. i ended up with 6 pieces

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160226_162835.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	144683

but i'm a trooper and i went with it. i dry brined friday afternoon, i mustard'd and dry rubbed saturday afternoon with BBBR. i changed it slightly and substituted one of the tsp of chili powder with paprika. went out with some friends, got to bed around 3, asleep around 4, woke up at 7 and started the BBQ. see, trooper!

Name:	20160228_073020.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	144684

i got the smoke rolling using hickory chips and they went on around 7:45 (i blasted the gas to burn out anything from the winter so it had to cool down a bit).

Name:	20160228_080722.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	144685

i stayed around 250 for a while, some chips caught fire and it went up around 280. the pieces were small so the temps went up pretty quick. i took most to 180 and wrapped, but one with really stubborn and it was only at 168 when i wrapped.

Name:	20160228_093056.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	144686

they came off when i checked them individually when they hit 208. the ones that were probe tender went into the faux cambro, the rest had a little bit to go. the stubborn one took an extra half hour. over all it took ~6 hours from meat going on to meat coming off. it was a real pain to do so many smaller pieces. i worry that i might have over seasoned them with the BBBR because it usually goes on thicker cuts. if i ever do "chuck rolls" again i might combine more to make fewer pieces overall.

so right now they are sitting in their cambro. waiting...just waiting. i'm getting impatient...it's been 2 hours...

i'll let you know how they turned out

Neat.

I almost bought some country style chuck ribs aka sliced chuck roast yesterday at wolly world. I love the country style pork ribs/butt so much I figure I will eventually take 'em home.

Comment

well some pulled beautifully and some so-so but over all they were tasty! this is quickly becoming one of my favorite things to 'que

Name:	20160228_172404.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	144707

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        DeusDingo :Beautiful!

Kathryn

• DeusDingo
        DeusDingo commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks! it is

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        I suspect the difference in the pull was due to which part of the chuck they came from. Like the pork butt mixed together no one cares.

Nice. Grilling burgers on some grillgrates w/ a couple chunks of hickory mixed with charcoal in a couple hours....or less.

Comment

• DeusDingo
        DeusDingo commented
        Editing a comment
        i hope they turned out as well as mine did! i'm not the biggest fan of smoke in my burger, however

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here