Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagyu tri-tip, it don't get any better!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu tri-tip, it don't get any better!

I'm very lucky to have a friend in the wholesale meat business that has access to the very best cuts of meat, as he sells to the top restaurants in the country! He gave me a wagyu tri-tip after christmas, telling me it would be the best cut ever! Really?

I used the basic ideas from the receipes here, modified them some, and smoked my Wagyu tri-tip!
    I had a wagyu tri-tip and I wanted to make sure that it came out perfect! I used this rub, and the basic ideas shared here and WOW!
    Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic salt
    Paprika

I used two parts salt to one part of the other ingredients (making extra for later use) and used it moderately.

First I rubbed it with olive oil, then the rub, (modified of course!) I placed it in the smoker (using hickory chips) for about and hour until the temp reached 115. I pulled it off and placed it on my BBQ (heated until it couldn't heat anymore) at about 650 then turned it about every two minutes until it reached 140 internal. It absoultly was the best tri-tip ever, it rivaled the best steak or best beef ever! Cutting it using the instructions below (this was my first ever tri-tip) made it work out perfectly! It was like cutting butter, so tender and the flavor from the rub was incredible!

Yep, he was right!

Originally posted by B-rad View Post
    Cutting it using the instructions below (this was my first ever tri-tip) made it work out perfectly!

Did you forget the instructions? Any pics? Sounds wonderful!

Comment

Welcome B-rad, let us know if you need some assistance uploading pics

Comment

Welcome B-rad

Comment

B-rad, I know I have eaten Beef from the Tongue to the Tail but to my knowledge I have never eaten a Tri-Tip Roast Wagu or otherwise! It sounds great! I need to the ask the Butcher to show me! My folks had a MeatMarket and I helped butcher and cut meat but never a Tri-Tip to my recollection?
          Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Guys, This Old Dog is going to have to turn myself inFor more training? Dan

• smokinfatties
            smokinfatties commented
            Editing a comment
            Danjohnston949 @Dewes155 it's very popular here in California, you must try! one of my favorite cuts of meat! Cheap enough and nice and tender if you cook it right.

• jgg85234
            jgg85234 commented
            Editing a comment
            Cook it right, and carve it right and as Meathead says in the recipe up in the main site, it's the poor man's Prime Rib. Make sure you have a grooved cutting board, as you will get a lot of juice when you first cut into one.

If they don't have it by you, you'll have to ask the butcher to bring it in. You have eaten it BTW. If they don't have it separate as a roast, it's because it gets ground up in ground sirloin. If you can get them to bring in a few and get some others to try it, you'll make the butcher a hero and you'll probably find it regularly available. You can only start the process by asking.

Jim

Welcome to The Pit B-rad! Glad to have you here, thanks for joining up with us and sharing your tri-tip success story!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Danjohnston949 Tri tip is sorta like a really great steak on a budget. Fantastic cut, almost shaped like a boomerang

Comment

B-rad how'd it turn out? I too have a friend that works for a wholesale distributor that gets Snake River Farms Wagyu Tri Tip. it's fantsastic! Reverse sear is the way to go on these guys with some red oak or pecan.

I got some that were still in the cryovac and I wet aged them over 2 months (a month after they were already aged 28 days, some of my favorite meat i've cooked! pictures attached. Always cut across the grain! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3092.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	131931 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3093.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	131929
              Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here