Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stall at 185 degrees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stall at 185 degrees?

Can a stall occur at that high a temp? Smoked a brisket. Foiled it when it hit 150 degrees. Unwrapped it at 185 to get some bark. It dropped to 170 and would not rise at all for 2 hours. Figured it must be in a stall but didn't know that could happen at that high a temp and re-wrapped. Never had that happen before.

Yes it happens. Even if not wrapped it can stall at say 155 get thru that than hit 185 or so then drop some temp and stall again.

Comment

I get the second stall at around 190 with brisket and butt. I am a crust guy so I do not wrap. I gave up on trying to get to the magical 203. I am sure it is my grill and 190 is plenty good anyways!

Comment

When you unwrapped it you introduced a boat load of evaporative cooling to the equation.

Comment

I agree with Jerod. Plus as our fearless leader says, "Pieces of meat are not widgets" Not every piece of meat is the same. These things happen. But like Jerod said, unwrapping that beast released a boat load of "meat sweat" to the equation.

Comment

What I might suggest Adamporter is to do the opposite of what you did here. Delay wrapping it until it's out of the stall, by then you'll have built up a pretty nice firm bark. Perhaps in the 180-185 or so range. Then once you wrap it tightly, leave it wrapped the remainder of the cook and the cambro hold if you do one.

It seems what you did was crutch it so there was no stall, then introduced the stall by unwrapping and allowing the meat to sweat like Jerod said. Picture jogging on a hot day in a wetsuit, then taking that wetsuit off when you're overheated. Woo, feels good! That's what the brisket was saying and why its temp dropped.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
              PaulstheRibList commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, that's what I would have said...if I was as smart as Huskee

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here