Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Briskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Briskets

$2.97 a lb whole in bag so I picked up 2........so far Plan on one as pastrami and the other as just brisket. So off to get one brining.

This will be first time for briskets. So glad to have this site. I am sure they will be awesome.

You can do it gardenfish ! I cooked my first brisket last week with the help from this site and it turned out great. Good luck.

Comment

I found choice Angus at HEB for $1.97 a pound. Last minute addition to the NYE dinner menu, so no time for brining. Threw on some Holy Cow rub from Meat Church that Santa put in my stocking.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        DANG! I actually was thinking of making a beef rub and calling it Huskee's Holy Cow Beef Rub...true story. Not to sell, just to call it that and share the recipe here.

And DANG! on the cheap brisket price too, that's crazy good.

Great Idea. They have great deals on briskets at Costco right now. ($2.78/lb for Prime) I have one aging right now in the fridge that I should have reserved for pastrami. I bought that it is advised to use an age brisket for pastrami, but maybe it wouldn't matter. . The next one I pick up is going towards some pastrami. I haven't tried to make it yet. But I am sure it will be a fun and tasty endeavor. Good luck with your cook. I would love to see some pictures of how your doing your pastrami. gardenfish Let us know when you have questions on the Brisket. Their difficulty is bit over hyped. They are easier than most people think. (IMHO)
      Last edited by Spinaker; December 31, 2015, 12:25 PM.

Comment

My boss just gave me a cooler full of frozen beef, his b-i-l owns a farm and they raise cattle.

He had a freezer full of 'odds and ends' that he didn't know what to do with - 'shin meat', chop steak and flanken-cut short ribs mainly. Handed it to me and said: "Here, I hoped you'd figure out something to do with all of this."

As I was loading it into my freezer, I did come across a nice looking brisket at the bottom. Now I'm thinking pastrami!

Comment

Are we talking bovine, ovine or caprine briskets???

Comment

• Spinaker, just got a couple briskets 2 weeks ago for $2.69 at Costco and was $2.79 the week before that. I have the flat brining now for Pastrami (first attempt).I made the mistake of trimming all the fat of as the corned beef recipe called for then when I went back to read I noticed to leave an 1/8 on if making pastrami , so not sure if I screwed it up or not. Anybody have a suggestion? Smoke it as is or make corned beef out of it?

Comment

Wife just corrected me, $2.47 #. She is going out now to get the third one.

Comment

Read the entire section about briskets, don't assume!! My friends now love me more than they hated me before. I followed Meatheads advice to the T. I still to, because it works out every time, and don't sway thinking that I know better. I didn't know crap before I came here. Be smart, cook smart, be a hero. I use my Traeger pellet smoker for everything now. What are you using??

Comment

Originally posted by fairfax1000 View Post
                  Read the entire section about briskets, don't assume!! My friends now love me more than they hated me before. I followed Meatheads advice to the T. I still to, because it works out every time, and don't sway thinking that I know better. I didn't know crap before I came here. Be smart, cook smart, be a hero.
                  • Welcome to The Pit fairfax1000 Great advice! Thanks for your support here!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Originally posted by Powersmoke_80 View Post

• Spinaker, just got a couple briskets 2 weeks ago for $2.69 at Costco and was $2.79 the week before that. I have the flat brining now for Pastrami (first attempt).I made the mistake of trimming all the fat of as the corned beef recipe called for then when I went back to read I noticed to leave an 1/8 on if making pastrami , so not sure if I screwed it up or not. Anybody have a suggestion? Smoke it as is or make corned beef out of it?

Powersmoke_80 I would still go forward with making the pastrami. Since its already brining. I did the same thing when I did a brisket a few months ago. I don't know why, I was on auto pilot and it just happened. But everything came out fine. To be honest, I really didn't notice a difference. That doesn't mean that there wasn't one but, I didn't notice really. I would go forward with making the pastrami. If its a bit dry you may know why. I agree with what others have always said, "Follow Meatheads recipes to a T" However, sometimes that doesn't happen, but as long as its close as possible, they come out fine.

Comment

I think it will just cook a bit faster w/o the fat cap. But you'll have better 360 bark. I always trim all the cap when doing pastrami but not when smoking a regular brisket.

Comment

And yesterday Walmart has pork shoulder butts it says for $1.47 # so The wife goes in and they were picnics and $1.27 #. Got the four they had and now looking for another freezer.

Comment

Do any of you know the current price of milk?

Comment

• MBMorgan
                          MBMorgan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sorry, I'm not familiar with that varietal. I assume it's a white?

• Ernest
                          Ernest commented
                          Editing a comment
                          HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Just as I suspected.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here