Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Rib too small?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Rib too small?

I'm cooking my first Prime Rib on New Years Eve and I think I messed it up already. I cut off the ribs, the spinalis (rib cap) for steaks and most of the fat. My 5.5 lb Prime Rib has turned into 23 oz. It is only me and my girlfriend but I'm concerned the meat is too small and I won't be able to cook it medium rare. Should I cut my 23 oz into steaks and get a bigger Prime Rib to start with or do you think it will be ok?

I Would cut into steaks and cook em and welcome to the pit.

Comment

Hmmm... That's a judgement call.

You can cook a 23oz prime rib center cut perfectly but after the remaining fat is rendered you'll each get about 10oz of prime rib.

If it were me... I'd look at this as a learning experience and start over.

Now you know what the yield is on ribeye roast. Now you know you can cut the ribs off and that is a meal. Then you can cut the cap off and that's a meal, the best part of the ribeye. Then you are left with the center cut. So if you are going to trim it that way you need to start with a bigger roast.

The other option would have been to cut it into 2 pieces of bone in meat. You would probably have leftovers but it would have been spectacular. Those cuts would be called a Cowboy steak or a Tomahawk cut.

You can make the 23oz center cut ribeye work but... It will be anti climatic. Just dinner.😏
      Last edited by Breadhead; December 30, 2015, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit edwardsen35! I agree with Breadhead. On the one hand it will work for two people, and you can get it there to medium rare just fine (just pay attention)...on the other hand it should make two decently thick eye of ribeye steaks which will be wonderful- similar to but better than filet mignon in my humble opinion.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

edwardsen35, Welcome to the Pit! I am not going to offer any advice on your rib roast other than if you have a scale weigh each piece as you currently have them, bone, cap, eye, and fat and write them down in a notebook you can use for reference for future cooks! You will be able to use this notebook to determine how much meat to buy! I think the gents above gave you good advice! 👍👍🐂👍👍. Eat Well and Prosper!
          From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Great advice above, which I'll use as I've never cooked a prime rib (it's on my to-do list). I've been mostly a pork and chicken guy so far. And welcome to the Pit edwardsen35!

Comment

Thank you! I appreciate the quick response and the advice. Lesson learned...

Comment

Rule of thumb (apparently) is 1 bone per 2 people you are going to serve. I did a 4 bone roast Sunday for 7 people plus 1 toddler and we had plenty left over. I left the rib cap on and it yielded a little over 6 lbs (raw) down from over 10 lbs (ribs + fat). Here's a link to my thread on it:

Not a Christmas roast because I couldn't convince my family to break our Chinese food tradition on Christmas day but just as good... I bought a 10 lb, 4 bone roast

Comment

Welcome edwardsen35

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here