Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about Rib roasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about Rib roasts

If I remove the rib cap from my roast, to trim the layer of fat between the spinalis muscle and the eye of rib, can I tie it back on when shaping the roast? Or should I just not mess with great pieces of meat and cook them separately?

I'd say that's a perfect 50/50 question. Personally, what I think I'd do if I didn't need the weight of meat on the roast for the size crowd I'm feeding is I'd do the cap separately. If you remove it then re-tie it on, then it just wont slice like that picturesque intact PR...but that might be a non issue for you.

Comment

GarrettPrkr ... What Huskee told you is a fact! The size of the crowd MIGHT dictate you serve that cap with the center cut to meet demand.

However... Allow me to play Huskee's evil brother.😡

Unless you are a VERY SPECIAL guest you will not be served those caps😜

The center cut of a USDA choice ribeye is very good. The center cut of a USDA Prime ribeye is to die for.😆 However... The caps of both is much better than the center cut. They have more fat and fat is flavor.😜

He who buys the goods and trims it gets to be stingy.🙊

I... Almost ALWAYS trim the cap off and save it for myself or special friends.👌
      Last edited by Breadhead; December 28, 2015, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Ditto Breadhead. I cut mine off and save it for a family meal with a nice bottle of cab!

Comment

GarrettPrkr I trimmed the fat between this year. I didn't have to remove the cap to get the trim out, it did allow me to dry brine between the sections. It was good, but not work the work in my mind, just cut off the cap for your own enjoyment and smoke the eye for the crowd. Dr ROK I would go with a Malbec myself.

Comment

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            How did you trim the fat without removing the cap?

• Gooner-que
            Gooner-que commented
            Editing a comment
            I was able to just peel it back a bit with out completly removing the cap, it then layed back over and I tied it all together. Just worked my hands in and pulled the fat out.

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, Gooner-que !!

I agree with all...save the cap for your family...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here