Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Short Ribs (chuck)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Short Ribs (chuck)

Saw some beef chuck short ribs at Costco and thought about buying and cooking some this week.. Would the pull off temp be the same around 195-203 and letting them sit for a min like the beef ribs on bone? Or would you treat it more like a burger pulling off 135 ish?
    Thanks!

Yes, go to the normal rib temp, low & slow to north of 200 and then perhaps even a wrapped cambro hold. They'll be some tough suckers at 135. For more details check out Meathead's beef rib article. Scroll down to the heading "Short Plate".

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Man Huskee thanks a million..Picked them up and will report back..

Are you talking about boneless? I think I tried a pack of those from Costco and did a shorter cook, that was okay. Might be better with a longer cook, but in the end I just didn't think they were worth doing again at any temp.

Comment

• W.A.
      W.A. commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. Costco boneless chuck ribs, thought they were with bones when I bought them. Came out like pot roast. I know it wasn't my technique really because I have cooked beef ribs many times.

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Well... tried them last night and after a 7 hr cook (2 am) and letting them hang for 2 1/2 more hrs in cambro, the middle sections were like beef ribs but the ends were tough as nails.. I pulled them about 200 so maybe next time I'll pull em around 185-190.. The sections that can be eaten were tasty..

Those work best taken the Asian route and Warp 10 or chopped up for burgers.
    Never had luck with low and slowing them.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I think I'll have to try the Asian route next.. especially with them being uneven in size..

I use those for my burger grinds. 50/50 mix of boneless short ribs & brisket cooked to med rare. excellent flavor.

Comment

• Timcee
      Timcee commented
      Editing a comment
      that's a great idea.. will try! Thanks

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here