Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emergency prime rib cooking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emergency prime rib cooking question

I don't want to mess up this $150 piece of meat. We want it rare and I'm not sure where to stick the probes. I have an igrill with 4 probes and can make it look like a science project if need be. Do I want the outside 1" to be rare temp 115 or the outside 1".

Flynhawaiian ...

I would recommend you put a probe in the exact center of the thickest part of the roast. Bake it at 225° until you get it 10° below your desired finished temperature. Then sear it at Warp 10 heat, turning it frequently, to put a pretty crust on it. Use your thermapen to know when to pull it.

I personally would pull it at 125° to 127°. Remember... You will have 3° to 5° of carryover cooking.

Comment

Breadhead is right. Put it in the middle of the roast. You really only need one probe, but it won't hurt anything if you stick a few more in.

Comment

Thanks guys. I've been dry brining it for 3 days and I just put on the seasoning. So cool it at 225 you think or 175? I was looking and an estimated time was 5 hours. I'm looking to eat at 5 so do you think put it on at 11am for 225. For about 30 minutes of cooking off?

I have the igrill ambient probe just to make sure the temp stays put! Seems pretty accurate. I usually use 2 or 3 different probes the therm and igrill just to make sure it's done .

The reverse seer do you recommend hitting a 425 temp put it back on and sear it until the crust is perfect?

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          I would recommend baking it at 225°. Below that temp doesn't add anything but waiting time.

To know the time required at a particular temp? Read the package on the meat. It doesn't matter where it cooks at 225° in an oven or a smoker. You can google cooking times for different sized roasts too.

Searing temperatures... 450° isn't hot enough. You want 600° to 700°. The inside is almost already cooked. Now you need extreme heat to sear the crust so you get that lovely dark mahogany color, a Meathead term.😆

Get a long handle meat hook and keep rotating your roast to get an even color.

Take pictures.😎
          Last edited by Breadhead; December 24, 2015, 07:59 PM.

Also, tie it up into a more circular shape. It will cook more evenly.

Comment

I was going to tie it before cooking it. Didn't feel like I could get it circular but I'm going to try real hard. 225 it is and I'll put the grill as high as she will go for the seer. I'll post a pict tomorrow of it done

Thanks for your help and have a happy xmas

Comment

Flynhawaiian ... This is a picture of me searing 6 2" prime grade New York steaks three days ago. I baked them in my indoor oven at 250° to start the cook. When they reached 120° I took them out to the 3 burner gasser that I had preheated to Warp 10 heat. When I trimmed and sliced the steaks from the full loin I intentionally left on a lot of fat so it would render onto the burners and create these big flames. The flames gave me a great crust.😜

Comment

Originally posted by BreadHead View Post
              You can google cooking times for different sized roasts too.
              Nah! I tried googling for that some time ago but every chart I found called for roasting at 325, 250, and even higher so those charts are little or no help. Roasting at 225 is a lot different and I am guessing that, for planning purposes (and so you have an idea when to put the rest of the dishes in the other oven) I am using ~45 minutes for pound as a rough estimate.

Comment

• Breadhead
                Breadhead commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmmm... My guess is if you cook at 225° calculating 45 minutes per pound. Your meat is going to be done early.
                Early is much better than late though.😎

If I were cooking it I think I would estimate 30 minutes per pound at 225°. However I will not serve it undercooked.

If your meat is done early, the better of the 2 options, you can leave it in the oven @165°/175° or you can put it in a faux cambro for a couple of hours.

Whatever you do I wish you a Merry Christmas.👌

I would shoot for at least 125 F final temp. Too rare and it just doesn't have a good mouth feel. You're getting good advice here. I think you'll succeed!

Comment

Thanks guys it came out amazing!!! 5.5 hour smoke. Took it off at 121 and it was 126 when it was served

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here