Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking "prime rib" with a Weber grill and oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking "prime rib" with a Weber grill and oven

I'm cooking a 10 lb. "prime rib" roast at my parents home in Iowa. It will likely be cold and rainy and my father only has a Weber grill. I've not had good luck at maintaining a 225 temp on his Weber grill in the winter so I'm considering cooking the roast in the oven on 225 until it reaches 110 degrees and then moving the roast to the Weber for the finishing sear to 130 degrees. I recall Meathead suggesting starting the roast on the grill and then finishing in the oven. I'm just concerned that I would get it too hot, too early. Perhaps the best plan is to put the roast on the grill for a short time early to get a little smoke on the meat while it is cold, then move to the oven for the slow & low cook, and then return the roast to the grill for the sear? Any advice would be appreciated.

If i were you... yes. start on weber with an established fire (good smoke) and temper the roast to desired doneness in a slow oven. return it to a hot grill for desired sear. but i really don't think you can go wrong either way.

Comment

Start with a 1/4 chimney of charcoal, or maybe 20 coals, well lit. Watch your vents, you should be able to get that temp to hover to 200-225. If your temp creeps up too high, close your vents. Keep the bottom vents at a crack or just over a crack (1/8" to 1/4"), and the top vent to about 1/4 open. This should be a good starting point. For searing, when the meat hits 100 or so light 3/4 to a full chimney of coals, let em get red hot where the smoke stops, and sear that beast right over those coals rolling often. You'd be ok starting your sear at 120. It'll take a while to get a roast's temp up, more than a steak while searing.

Comment

Are you using a digital thermometer or your grill's lid thermometer? If you don't have a thermometer probe for the grate, and it's too late to get one, you may wish to do the oven method then sear on the grill. Lid thermometers are useless for measuring the temp your meat actually feels. The LAST thing you wanna do is overcook such a nice piece of meat.

Comment

jauld22 ...

I personally don't want a smoke flavor on a Prime Rib roast. Cooking on a grill that you are unfamiliar with for a small crowd for a very important dinner would be stressful.

I would bake in the oven to 115/120° and then transfer it to the Weber that is at Warp 10 heat. I pull my Prime Rib roasts at 125/127° because you're going to get 3/5° degrees of carryover cooking.

There's many ways to do it and they will all produce a great roast. A meat thermometer is a MUST have tool for this cook though. I just think oven to Weber is more controllable and less stressful.

Good luck and take pictures...😜

Merry Christmas to all!

Comment

i just did a roast last night in the oven following exactly the instructions provided by MH. ive done a ton on my cookers but this was the first ive ever done in an oven and im 31... thats either awesome or depressing, i havent figured it out yet.

either way, i followed the instructions exactly with a dry brine, tied it up, cow crust, etc. etc. and put it in the oven at 225. used a V shaped roasting rack but i put it on top of a smaller Pyrex roasting dish so it was well elevated all around with some beef stock in the bottom. had to refill this about 1/2 way thru.

at 115 (took about 2 hours) i cranked the broiler to warp 10, cracked the oven (to let out the convection heat) and seared it all around under the broiler turning once every 5-6 mins, leaving the oven cracked the whole time, till it hit 135. it was excellent.

PERSONALLY: i prefer using a cooker and some smokey charcoal flavor, the people who aren't into that flavor enjoyed it very much and there was little to no stress.

it had a Maverick in it the whole time it was in the oven and spot tested with a Thermapen. i made MHs garlic mashed as well... holy heck if you havent done this, do it NOW

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here