Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Prime Rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime Prime Rib

I got a bone in Prime Prime Rib roast for Christmas dinner at $13.99/lb. Is that a good price? The reason I ask is they had an extra whole prime roast and if that price was good I might pull the trigger and get another one.

Holy crap that is a gooooooooood price.

Our Choice is over $15 per pound. They don't have bones, but still....that is goooooooooood.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm... I got a 13.5 pound Prime grade New York roast for $8.29 per pound. It was exquisite. I went back to Costco today and bought another one.😆

Proof of purchase...😎

Comment

Dang, we can't get close to that in this rural part of the world.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Living in highly, highly populated areas has its benefits.💸

However that was at Costco. The next day I saw that same exact piece of meat at Von's grocery store... 3 miles from Costco for $19.99 per pound.

One must shop around.👍
        Last edited by Breadhead; December 23, 2015, 01:45 AM.

Breadhead you and I probably visit the same Costco since we live in fairly close proximity (well, you live in, i work in). The "bulk" prices on great meat have been darned good lately.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        I shop at the Skypark location in Torrance.

We get a similar price here at Costco but I prefer the high Angus roasts at my local grocery store which are the same price or a little cheaper and often better tasting. That's why I cook so much steak.

Comment

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Angus has to be Prime or upper Choice grade beef. Meathead does a pretty good job of explaining the ratings here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...ef_grades.html

I don't just go by the rating. I look for marbling. At my local grocer I've seen Angus steaks that looked like they were mid choice grade and Angus steaks that would give a nice Wagyu steak a run for its money. I pick the ones that look like they are prime grade. =)

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        David Parrish ...

From Meathead's explanation...

Certified Angus Beef. The Certified Angus Beef (CAB) brand is a trademarked brand designed to market quality beef. To wear the CAB logo, the carcass is supposed to pass 10 quality control standards and CAB must be either USDA Prime or one of the two upper sublevels of USDA Choice. Most of it is USDA Choice. CAB costs a bit more because the American Angus Association charges a fee to "certify" the steers and higher markups take place on down the line.

Interestingly, CAB does not actually certify that the beef labeled Certified Angus Beef is from the highly regarded Angus breed. Their major control is that the steer must have a black hide, which is a genetic indicator that there are Angus genes in the steer, but not a guarantee.

Ok... Now I get it.

I did notice a picture you posted of Angus beef said choice grade and the price seemed a little high.

Now... Next time I see Angus beef I'll grade by the marbling content and the price per pound. I think those that sell Angus beef have failed in their marketing of that grade of meat. Until you explained it I had no clue what Angus meant.

Thanks for bringing me up to speed.😎
        Last edited by Breadhead; December 24, 2015, 06:55 PM.

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        You bet Breadhead. The moral of the story is you need to have a good eye and pick the best steaks in the case.

I got a 6 bone rib roast at my local Publix today for $6.99 a lb. for a choice cut. Was over 15 lbs. and only $102. Will be cooking it on the Weber with the SnS

Comment

Our USDA Prime was $19.99/lb! $246.16 total!! I better not screw this one up.......

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Rotate often. At max searing power the SnS will give each side a nice sear in only a minute or two. I usually turn my roasts every 30 seconds until each side looks nice and dark brown.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! David Parrish I hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday!

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          You as well Spinaker!

Pulled the trigger on the 2nd prime prime. Half cut into 1.5" ribeyes and half as a prime rib roast. Had them cut the ribs off for smoking later. It's going to be a Merry Christmas!

Comment

$8.99 a pound

Comment

My Traeger crapped out yesterday. Frozen Auger! No time to figure it out in torrential rains in NC. Could be reduced to oven recipe!

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome to The Pit GrilledCheese! Hope you get up & running again soon.

• FLBuckeye
              FLBuckeye commented
              Editing a comment
              We had temps in the mid 80's today and our AC went out. Long, hot and humid day until 9 PM when the AC repair guy finally showed up.

got my Angus roast from my butcher lady for $6.99 of course it involved some homemade apricot brandy, got a 4 bone 10 pound going to put it on the Weber rotisserie via Meathead rub raining right now but tomorrow should be clear and sunny in NO Cal

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here