Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holding brisket time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holding brisket time

I am smoking 2 wagyu briskets at 225 today and put them on at 3:30 this morning and eating at around 5 this afternoon. Right now 9am they have reach 150 and I am going to wrap up and go to 200-205. Should I not wrap and go thru the stall or wrap and hold in cooler. I guess my question is how long can I hold

I honestly don't think you'll have to worry about it if you are at 225 but depends mostly on when you wrap. I wouldn't wrap until I had a good bark, which is usually after the stall.
    As far as the hold goes you can wrap and put it in the cooler for hours and still have great results. I personally use 2 hours as a minimum but have no problems with 4 hours either.

Good luck and welcome to the pit, please snap some photos before you eat those guys.

Comment

• Doug'a Smokin Meats
      Doug'a Smokin Meats commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the quick response, I will post pics later!

Welcome Doug'a Smokin Meats

Comment

Welcome! Agree with John. Wrap when the bark is right. I've used the "Franklin method" of wrapping with butcher paper the last couple & like it but foil is fine too. Your OK to hold in the cooler for quite a while. Eve if it cools too much in there (6+ hours) a quick trip through a low oven re-warms it just fine. Enjoy!

Comment

• Doug'a Smokin Meats
        Doug'a Smokin Meats commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for your quick response.

So, what is the "catch" for holding? Is it time or temperature? Can I/should I hold a brisket for longer than 4 hrs? Is 6 or 8 ok? Is it ok as long as the temperature stays over 140?

Needless to say, I'm researching because my timing was way off today... It came off at 1130, and dinner is at 6. Do I hold, or give up, refrigerate, and reheat?. All help appreciated.

Comment

• ckwhit
        ckwhit commented
        Editing a comment
        I would wrap and put it in an empty ice chest. I usually put some newspapers under it and a bunch on top. It will hold the temp well and it will be ready when you are.

If you have it wrapped and have a way to hold it at 140, you should be good (food safety wise) for at least 6 hours.

Comment

Thanks ROK, I can keep the temp up.

What's impact on the brisket?

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          If you've got it wrapped tightly so you don't lose moisture it will result in a moister/softer bark, but you should be fine. It'll still be great.

Thanks! It's been holding for 4.5 hours... I just put it in the oven to bring the temp up a bit. Dinner in 2 hrs.

Comment

Doug'a Smokin Meats welcome to the Pit. Hope that brisket is great!

Comment

How did it go?

Comment

Doug'a Smokin Meats I realize this is quite late for a response...but

One time I had a brisket on heat for 24hrs due to abnormal timing of daily events. I cooked it the normal 12-14, then had to bounce back & forth between the Fo'Bro and an 170deg oven (to get it from 140 back to 160) the remainder of the time. It was awesome! It may have been a tad crumbly, but I don't remember ever thinking 'this is a failure'. It was moist, tender, and very tasty. I was quite happy. Not saying that's best practice by any means, but my point is that your attempts here should've worked fine. Although I'd wrap more at the 180-190 range, after the stall, to get a good bark built up first.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here