Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dilemma on Christmas Beef Tenderloin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma on Christmas Beef Tenderloin

I'm caught in a dilemma. I have 2 buddies who swear by this Beef Tenderloin recipe... https://www.cookscountry.com/recipes...eef-tenderloin

BUT at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, not to mention a "rest" of 30 minutes, it seems counter to the slow cook / reverse sear methodology on these pages. Any thoughts? Is it possible that Tenderloin may be an exception to the rule?

Look forward to your input.

I will defer to someone else as I am in the camp of using minimal seasoning on a beef tenderloin. A little dalmatian rub plus granulated garlic is all I need. If I were living alone I wouldn't even bother to cook it and eat it with slices of Walla Walla sweets or Vidalias.

Comment

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      After looking at the recipe, the higher heat might be needed penetrate the herbs and the breadcrumb dressing slathered around it as it will act as an insulation barrier...IMO.

HermanGerman I think she is in a completely different boat than the AR/ reverse sear folks. she recommends "letting it rest for a couple of hours" to get to room temperature. i don't think that tenderloin is an exception to the rule. however you see that she puts it in at 400 for about 20min, i would bet that doing so and letting it rest for a while then putting it back in may help prevent overcooking from the outside a bit. i don't think her recipes would bode well with a grill anyways, but you may be able to do a hybrid and smoke it with the S&P etc seasoning it until it hits 110 or so and then finish it in the oven @400 with all the bread crumbs and herbs? i wouldnt let it sit for 2 hours to get to room temp, just season it and keep it in the fridge so it stays cool and throw it on a smoker and let it slowly creep up to 110.

Comment

• HermanGerman
      HermanGerman commented
      Editing a comment
      I like that idea. I think I'm going to try the Hybrid approach. And agree on not letting come to room temp.

Hmmm... Hogwash!

Dry brine it and do the reverse sear. Add some really good fresh ground pepper after it comes off the grill and then put on a pat of compound butter.😆

Your friends will see the light.😎

If they must have something to compliment the natural meat flavor... Make a Bernaise sauce.
    Last edited by Breadhead; December 18, 2015, 08:22 PM.

Comment

I will just stress the need to cook with a thermometer not a clock. Searing isn't mandatory, but it adds a layer of complexity to the crust on each slice. Seasoning is matter of taste, and usually tenderloin is inherently lower on the flavor scale compared to other cuts.

Comment

• HermanGerman
        HermanGerman commented
        Editing a comment
        Definitely learned that lesson in the past. I think the paste will to some extent add the complexity instead of the seared crust. I'm going to give it a shot as smokinfatties suggested. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Thanks smokinfatties for the advice. Did it that way. OK, but gotta admit that you, Craigar, Huskee and Breadhead were all right. It turned out fine (see pic), but not that "to the edge" red I wanted. And honestly, the breading on the outside to me just distracted from the tenderloin flavor itself. Thanks again, all.

Comment

• smokinfatties
        smokinfatties commented
        Editing a comment
        it looks good! Yeah i would say next time just go with the reverse sear and throw some light seasoning on it, let the meat speak for the flavor! I prefer bread crumbs on the cheap meat like chicken. Trial and error is what it's all about. Happy new year!

HermanGerman ...at what temp did you cook the tenderloin? 400F? I would have assumed that tenderloin is "steak" and would have done it at 300-325F until it reached an internal temp of 120-125 and, then, do the HOT grill searing until your target temp is reached. What do you think?...Ray

Comment

• HermanGerman
        HermanGerman commented
        Editing a comment
        The problem was that I was trying to accommodate an outter breaking that needed to get crisped. Searing wasn't an option. So I cooked at 200 for about an hour until the internal got to 110. Then I cranked it to 400 and added the paste/breading.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here