Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Challenge of the OTS (off-the-shelf) spices on reverse seared steaks--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge of the OTS (off-the-shelf) spices on reverse seared steaks--

So the wife and her mother were out shopping all day yesterday and I was asked to take care care of dinner.

After reading Mosca 's post on OTS seasonings I put my mad scientist hat and lab coat on for another challenge.

I had just got 2 new spice blends (Simply Asia Sweet Ginger Garlic and Red Robin's Signature Blend) and I went to Publix and picked up these mid-range cost steaks:

Click image for larger version

Name:	12-9-2015 9-19-52 AM.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	126402

Name:	12-9-2015 9-20-27 AM.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	126403

Here are the 4 OTS spice mixes I went with:

Name:	12-9-2015 9-20-51 AM.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	126404

1. Tony Chachere's (old stand by)
    2. Simply Asia Sweet Ginger Garlic
    3. McCormick's Montreal Steak (old stand by)
    4. Red Robin Signature Blend
    NOTE - The Cheddar Beer chips were all for me - any good challenge needs some snack food - right?

I divided the steaks into equal weight amounts and carefully spiced up each and put them in separate ziploc bags so as to not cross-contaminate flavors.

Name:	12-9-2015 9-35-39 AM.jpg
Views:	9732
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	126405

Now I get the Peformer and with the Vortex ready to rock:

Name:	12-9-2015 9-21-28 AM.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	126406

Vortex ON!

Name:	12-9-2015 9-21-56 AM.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	126407

Vortex is at full throttle (turned out lights for effect):

Name:	12-9-2015 9-22-19 AM.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	126408

Now I put steaks on the indirect areas on the outside ring. The Kettle temp immediately jumps right up to 450. This is something I don't think the SNS can do.

Name:	12-9-2015 9-22-40 AM.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	126409

After only 12 minutes at an indirect temp of 450 these babies were ready to reverse sear!

Name:	12-9-2015 9-23-19 AM.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	126410

Let the reverse searing begin!!

Name:	12-9-2015 9-24-01 AM.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	126411

Name:	12-9-2015 9-24-28 AM.jpg
Views:	3064
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	126412

I must say I don't beleive I have ever cooked such perfect steaks. All were nice and pink inside, but not bloody with a perfect sear.

I couldn't wait to serve and taste them!

Now for the taste results from the peanut gallery (including me):

1st Place: McCormick's Montreal Steak - not a surprise, it's always very good
    2nd Place: Tony Chachere's - again, not a real surprise here even though I rarely use Tony's on beef
    3rd Place: Simply Asia Sweet Ginger Garlic - really good flavor, but points had to be taken away due to the fact burnt sesame seeds from searing didn't really taste good. I should have figured that out on the front end, but was too busy eating my Cheddar Beer chips I guess. This seasoning will be excellent in stir fry or rice - I highly recommend it - just maybe not for reverse searing.
    4th Place: Red Robin Signature - I was really surprised by this. It wasn't a bad flavor - more of a lack of flavor. The wife informs me later that this spice is what Red Robin uses on their fries - she didn't think it was a meat spice. I did use this spice in the smashed potatoes I made as a side, and they were some of the best I have ever made -- so I'll keep that in mind for the future. (No, I have never been to Red Robin, but will make a piligrimage up to Myrtle Beach or Columbia soon to try!!)

Like I mentioned, these were some of the best cooked steaks I have ever made as far as doneness, moistness and searing, BUT...

THESE WERE THE WORST STEAKS I HAVE EVER HAD!!!

The flavors were good, but the meat itself was extremely tough, chewy and just unpleasant in general. Most of the meat got cut up to be mixed in dog's food for the next few days.

This leads me to my next word of advice - when you see a cut of meat advertised as "Mock Tender Steak" - DO NOT BUY IT at any cost.

I have no idea where a "Mock Tender Steak" comes from - maybe some of the AR member's with butchering experience can help out. It is suitable stew meat, that is about it.

Anyway - another cooking adventure comes to a close.

Takeaways:
    1. Never ever buy "Mock Tender Steaks" unless they are being ground up or cut up for stew.
    2. Only use Red Robin seasoning on potatoes. Sweet potatoes fries will be the next time I try it.
    3. Sesame seeds do not reverse-sear well.
    4. McCormick Montreal Steak and Tony Chachere's will ALWAYS be in my spice cabinet.
    Last edited by HC in SC; December 9, 2015, 09:48 AM.

Great post man! Well done. (no pun intended)

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      It's always something - right! I even got kudos from the mother-in-law about how perfectly done they were. Oh, well - lesson learned fo' sho'!

Haha, great writeup!

I wonder if those steaks might have been "mock" because they were assembled with meat glue?

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      They were mocking me - that is for sure! I think the Publix butcher was mocking me as well.

Note to self: When the label suggests to marinate, assume it is gonna be some tough-azz meat - lol!

HC in SC, Great Write Up! I particularly like your Spice Info! Sorry about your "Steak" experience I think I had a 4lb Chuck Roast off the same Critter on Sunday? You couldn't Chew it with an Axe! The Meat Grinder is going to get it before my 3 S--t Bird Mutts get their share! I can't afford the Vet Bill!
    Eat Well and Prosper, 👍👍🐂👍👍. Dan

Comment

I second Mosca's suggestion that the steaks were scraps assembled with meat glue.

Comment

Mock tender is a cut of the chuck that resembles a filet (tenderloin), but is tough like chuck. As you discovered, not the best for steaks unless you sous vide them at 125F for 24-48 hours or tenderize them.

Comment

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the knowledge. When I saw them they looked like filets - nice and lean. I guess that is why they call them 'Mock' tender -- they look like they would be, but no dice.
          Last edited by HC in SC; December 10, 2015, 05:22 AM.

Oh and the SnS can do 450 and then some....

Comment

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know! Thanks.

I have only used the Vortex small hole up as in the pics above - it is my go-to for steaks and wings.

The next toy I buy for the kettle will probably be the SNS, but am currently saving for the Lang 36.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah HC in SC it's the charcoal's energy giving you the heat. The accessories only focus or disburse the heat. Temp comes from the coals alone.

Great write up, not sure I would have the guts to have mock steak, and now I don't have to waste my time on other flavors, Montreal as usual.

Comment

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          It is very hard to beat - I love the coarse salt and pepper pieces in it.

I don't think I have ever had any family or friends complain about it, where as the wife says the Tony's can be too spicy for here if used heavy handed -- which I have a tendency to do on occasion.

LOL! Reminds me of when I was a teenager (early 70s) and one of the local supermarkets would sell packaged "mystery meat" for about 25 cents per pound. It was horrid looking but I lived off of that stuff for quite a few years. No idea what I was ingesting but man, at the time it sure tasted good.

Comment

• HC in SC
          HC in SC commented
          Editing a comment
          Well now I know (thanks to mgaretz above) that essentially I bought slices of chuck roast -- certainly not ideal for making steaks out of. Next time I'll buy at least top sirloin if not NY Strips or lean Ribeyes.

Just as a follow-up I made chicken fried rice last night. I substituted the Simply Asia Sweet Ginger and Garlic for my usual spices and it was jam-up.

I even substituted the 1 tsp of salt I put in with the rice in the rice cooker with the Asian spice blend.

Highly recommended for other food applications that don't involve putting direct flame on sesame seeds.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here