Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri tip sirloin reverse seared on WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri tip sirloin reverse seared on WSM

Cooked a tri tip tonight. Bought it around lunchtime and dry brined for about 3.5 hours before I threw it on my WSM. I seasoned with veggie oil and BBBR. Used 1 medium sized hickory chunk and 3 or 4 really small pieces that were left over in the bag. My temperature was around 220 for the duration which was fine with me although I would have preferred 225. After I hit 115 I pulled it and wrapped it in foil after about an hour. I removed the midsection of my WSM, bunched up the coals, removed the wood chunks to prevent flare ups, and put the grate on top of the bottom section to reverse sear.

The thinner tip was already about 125 compared to the thick part so I kept that part off the Direct heat. I went about 1 to 2 mins per side and kept flipping and moving until I got readings between 130 and 135. That took about 15 minutes.

The crust was good in parts but ok in others but overall it turned out great. Had a nice little smoke ring and a good smoke flavor in the background.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151205_173232.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	125763

Name:	20151205_174049.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	125764

Name:	20151205_174633.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	125766

Name:	20151205_180108.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	125767

Name:	20151205_174721.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	125765

A thing of beauty my man! I wish we could get good beef here at decent prices!

Brisket usually runs about $5.49-$6.99 per pound and tri-tip is usually a bit higher -- not to mention the cuts are usually very small -- not a big roast like yours!

Everytime I have gone in Publix or Sam's with the intention of buying brisket / tri-tip I end up coming out with top sirloin or chuck roasts because they are usually less expensive and nicer cuts.

Well done!

Comment

• josht138
      josht138 commented
      Editing a comment
      HC in SC Thanks. When I called to check if they had it at my Publix, I had to ask for the whole roast. They just had sliced or tri tip steaks. So I had to request it from their butcher. It was $7.5 per lb. I bought it from a butcher shop last time at $11 which is too much for choice.

The other day that publix had a 16 lb whole packer at $7 per lb which is what they sell the flat for by itself normally.

Looks great!

I've been asked to do "brisket" for the office party on the 11th. Apparently someone told them that I make a good brisket, which is interesting since I keep telling people that Central Californians don't mess with brisket because we have tri tip!

The education continues...

Comment

Tri-tip literally packs more juicy goodness than anything you can get off a bovine outside of a ribeye.

Comment

Nice cook, the meat looks great!

Comment

That looks great josht138 ! I've never cooked tri tip before but this sure motivates me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here