Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shredding Brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shredding Brisket?

When I told my wife about Meathead's version of Pastrami she exclaimed that we absolutely had to do something like that for our 20th Annual Christmas Party. I have shredded countless chuck roasts but for brisket, or in this case, corned beef brisket, I've always sliced it.

Shredding makes more sense for how I am using it but I've never seen or heard of anyone shredding brisket.

Have any of you Pit Members shredded brisket? If so, how did it turn out? Is there anything specific I would need to know? The corned beef briskets I saw at the local grocery store were flats.

I shred/chop almost every brisket I cook. Two ways:

1. Slice across the grain, run through a grinder with a 12mm plate mixing the fatty and lean pieces

2. Slice across the grain, make sure the point is well rendered, chop it like you choppin' broccoli with a meat cleaver or BIG knife.

I do #2 more now since I like the way the bark stays more intact. The grinder method is very fast.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that is where my train of thought jumped to.

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Great minds think alike. The second I saw "choppin' broccoli' that's what immediately came to mind.

Thanks for the info, Jerod Broussard.

I know you cook a boat-load of brisket. It's fair to say I was very pleased when I went to my messages and I saw you had responded to this.

Since I don't have a grinder, I will go with #2. It sounds easy enough but it also sounds more technical than just using bear claws which I am guessing is attributable to the graininess of the meat.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      JeffJ 2 great minds think like mine, man I am stoked.

Yeah, pork butt has so many different muscles and melted collagen and fat, brisket just doesn't play the same. Slicing across the grain just makes sure no one ends up chewing on a beef jerky strip.

They had NO briskets at wal-mart today. Asked one of the meat dudes, he comes out with 4 beautiful Choice packers. I only needed one but all them dudes were screaming for me to take them home. hahahah

Just overcook it, or over-faux cambro it. Should be really easy to do.

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking I would cook it to just north of 200 and at some point late in the cook I will wrap and will also cambro for 3 hours or so.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here