Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas, Christmas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas, Christmas...

When everything is so nice, you want to do it twice!

Reading in the current SRF topic about weights being low, I was worried, but both of these are over by more than 10%!

All my Tri-tips have been over. The first two by quite a bit. They did require plenty fat trimming, but I expect that on beef that has plenty intramuscular fat.

Comment

HERESY: I do these in the oven, not the BGE.

My process is simple. Trim, rub with salt, pepper, and garlic, then 225* until one hits 130, and the other hits 140. In practice I stagger the start times so that they finish within 10 minutes of each other.

I used to flip to the broiler at 125/135, but the outside gets nice and crusty either way. It's a PITA to use the broiler. But there's no rule, if they look like they need browned up, the broiler is the way to do it.

This is the first time I've done the Kobe roasts. The nicest roast I'd ever done previously was dry aged prime. I usually buy choice, or sometimes Certified Angus is on sale, then I'll get that. But I had a good run in Vegas a couple months ago so I hurried up and ordered these when they were on sale, with delivery postponed a month.

One thing for the rib roast noobs: the quality of the meat is important, but not nearly as important as proper prep and cooking. Great meat won't save a bad cook. But the cheapest rib roast prepared properly will be excellent, and quality meat just goes on top of something that is already great!

Comment

That's good. Maybe they're reading these posts! I had one on the heavy side (but still within) the listed weight, and a couple items on the low side. Then an unsettling pattern of some under-weight items. I suppose it's all win-some-lose-some. Although a customer paying a premium should never lose-some. I trust they're working on that!

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          My last brisket was 14-17lbs, came in @ 14.6. I was a bit ticked by that, I was figuring it would be over 15.

But here's the way I think now that I'm getting old: 3 years from now, will it matter? Everyone ate brisket and there was plenty left over. Would the day have been better if there was another pound of meat? Who knows.

If it becomes a pattern, I'll address it in my next order.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Mosca Exact same here, my 14-17 came in at 14.6, and I was hoping more toward 16ish. Like you imply though, it came in the range I agreed to so what can I say. Once I ordered 2 "10oz" filet steaks, and they came at "6oz", then when I mentioned it to their CS the re-sent them and they showed up as "8 oz". The cool thing was I got two free 6oz and then 2 free 8oz steaks. I imagine a Monday morning meeting with the packing workers and my case being mentioned on the overhead board. Lol.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I am absolutely certain it was brought up!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here