Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steaks: Flip Once or Flip Frequently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steaks: Flip Once or Flip Frequently?

While this is really an ad for the Combustion Inc. thermometer, the science behind the two techniques is fascinating.
    (36) How Many FLIPS for the Perfect Steak? - YouTube

The quest for grillers to get the perfect grill marks frequently gets in the way of better flavor or doneness…
    If the flavor is in the sear, then the pan seared steak is the way to get more surface sear…
    Seems more frequent flipping in a pan gives a more even heat transfer to the center…
    I wonder how many competitors pan fry instead of grilling…

Last edited by Washblue; July 3, 2022, 03:00 PM.

Comment

One of things I like best about the GrillGrates is flipping them to flat side up to use on the grill for searing. So much less mess than a CI pan on the stovetop, and you can get that full-surface sear. Learning the "grill marks debunk" was one of the first lessons I got from Meathead's book...

Comment

Interesting video.

Comment

Makes total sense to me,,,,,

Comment

Thanks for posting the video. It was an enjoyable way to start my surfing session.

Kathryn

Comment

Excellent. Thank you. I’m surprised he uses a pan temperature of 350°/325°, I use 500°. I get good results, but that doneness window is pretty narrow. I’ll try the lower temp and see if I get better results.

Comment

Cool video. I am looking forward to my thermometer arriving and that sous vide video!
                Last edited by STEbbq; July 2, 2022, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Interesting video

Comment

Very interesting video no wonder I used to suck at cooking steaks. Since joining this site my technique has improved a lot.

Comment

Thank you for finding and posting.

Comment

Good post!

Comment

Perfect timing. I have a nice Flat Iron steak queued up for dinner. It’s about 1.25” thick and dry brining now. So it’ll be flip, flip, flip……..

Comment

So resting and allowing the meat to warm up before cooking - both not supported on this site. Interesting.

What about seasoning? If I flip my steak too soon, the seasoning sticks to the grill. However, I do flip my steaks fairly often. And completely rely on a thermometer.

Comment

• STEbbq
                              STEbbq commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I use as avocado oil to avoid smoke and it is my favorite for steaks and other high-temp cooks.

• Rocinante
                              Rocinante commented
                              Editing a comment
                              If you are going to be adding oil to the surface, might I suggest adding a little mayo instead? It has to be the real thing, no fat free or low fat varieties. It will help in preventing sticking but more importantly, in the flavor of the exterior of the meat. Depending on the size of the steak, I usually will add a tsp of two, just enough to cover the meat.

• GolfGeezer
                              GolfGeezer commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You might also try ghee oil. It is a blend of clarified butter and avocado oil. I started using this instead of mayo, although I still prefer mayo over just oil.

Does anyone think the flipping method works with thick hamburgers ?
                            To get a nice crust as you do with smash burgers but still be able to have it med. rare?

Comment

• pkadare
                              pkadare commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Kenji has a recipe for grilled smash burgers. They aren't thick but they are thicker than those that you'd griddle and are designed to get that charcoal flavour in a thin burger. They are quite good.

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here