Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xmas prime rib rub and technique help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xmas prime rib rub and technique help

My wife's family wants me to cook a prime rib on the pellet smoker. I could use a little help figuring out a good rub for it and what temp to cook it at. They would like it rare

You have any digital thermometers??

Any other grills available to reverse sear??

Do they like herbs?

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...rib_roast.html

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Flynhawaiian! You've come to the right place. Jerod gave you the recipe link. The "Mrs O'Leary's Cow Crust" rub in that recipe is very popular. If you don't like the more herbal profile but instead prefer a more peppery bolder rub another excellent choice is Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub. Good for roasts, briskets, steaks, etc.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

Comment

Welcome Flynhawaiian

Comment

Flynhawaiian, Welcome to the Pit! If this is going to be your first Prime Rib, I think I would error on the conservative side on the Rub Profiles, I would Dry Rub it with Kosher Salt a Day or Two before Smoking. I would have a Spritz Bottle containing 1-C Apple Juice, 1/2 C Tarragon or Balslmic Vinager, 1/4 C Worsteshire Sauce, and a bit of onion juice! Use the Spritz when you add your rub and Everytime you open the Smoker while cooking! First and Foremost avail yourself of good thermometers to monitor the Smoker Grill Temp and the Meat Temp! With that bit of advice and a good drip pan W/Water You should have Fun with Your Prime Rib and best of all serve your In Laws the Best they have ever had! 👍👍🐂👍👍. Eat Well and Prosper!
          Dan

Comment

If you've not already cooked something like this, I'd strongly recommend that you do a practice run of a similar size meat. Doesn't have to be as pricey a piece of meat as your Christmas prime rib, but get a practice run in. Since you are new here, I have no clue with respect to the cooks you have under your belt.

Comment

If it's really great beef, I prefer to let the beef shine and do a simple dry brine for a few days then add fresh ground pepper before the grill.

Comment

^ Exactly what bbqoaf said. Keep it simple, be sure to dry brine well in advance. Bit of oil and black pepper.

Comment

How long would you recommend dry brining it for. 1/4 tsp per lb?

I'm about 4 months in to smoking. I've done pot roast, tri tips. Lots and lots and lots of ribs, and steaks

Would you just cook it till 120 at 150-f?

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                    Danjohnston949 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    @flynhawaiin, In my HOP you would you want your Smoker Temp to be 250*-325* F. Your Roast should have an internal Temp. of 135* F Min 140*-145* F for Med Rare! Check the Temps suggested on the AR recipe section! Dan

• Ernest
                    Ernest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I use roughly 1/2 to 3/4 of crystal diamond kosher salt per pound of meat for 2 days.

• bbqoaf
                    bbqoaf commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Time required for dry brining is a function of thickness, a big prime rib roast will need 1-2 days to let the salt penetrate, 1" steaks take about 4 hours or so.

In terms of temp, I'd pull it at 125 and sear to 130 IT, carry over will take it to about 135 which where I like my rib roasts.

In my opinion, for a big piece of meat like a prime rib you'll want to dry brine for at least 24 hrs in advance. I like a little more salt, say 1/3 tsp/lb but that's just me. You're using a pellet cooker, do you have something else to do the sear with? A high temp oven would work in a pinch or the broiler in your oven too.

Personally, I like to cook a prime rib low like at 225F. If you want it rare, bring the meat up to about an internal of 115F or so and sear it. I'm sure your pellet grill will be able to sear it so just take the meat off, ramp up the temp and put the meat back on the grate where it's the hottest. Turn it a little until it's seared.

Very good information here if you haven't already read it!
                  Last edited by cdd315; November 29, 2015, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Flynhawaiian , I know you're getting lots of advice, but you may want to consider a final rub of Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Lawry's Seasoned Pepper. It offers a great flavor profile that has been working for the Lawry's restaurants for 90 years. One of my favorite places to eat! Good luck on your cook and welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Season with salt 2 days ahead of time, black pepper before cooking. I'd go no higher than 225 degrees on the pellet.
                      Even better if done sous vide.
                      Then Sear.

Let the "prime" beef Shine.

Comment

i use "Better Than Bullion" for the salt, and then pepper and garlic . That's it. Anything more is too complicated. Some folks brine it, I don't.

I've done about 50 of these. They are really simple, don't be afraid. Do it at 225 until the internal hits 130 for medium rare. Pull it at 120 for rare. Some folks say to roll it around under the broiler afterward, but my experience has been that the outside is plenty browned. The Better Than Bullion has a browning agent that helps.

Comment

I am going to do a prim rib roast on my Rec Tec, I am using Meat Head's recipe. Do I need to do anything different since I am doing the roast on a pellet grill?

Thanks,
                          Sandy

Comment

• Huskee
                            Huskee commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nope, just follow it as precisely as you can and you should be in great shape. If you want a seared crust you'll be unable to do that on your pellet smoker though. Do you have a charcoal grill?

By the way, welcome to The Pit!

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. ( http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...ork-assignment)

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

Hope to hear & see more from you!

• sam42830
                            sam42830 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks Huskee. I do have a Kettle & after I do my roast on the pellet, I will roll on the kettle. Thanks

Sandy

Thanks guys so much. Problem with the season salt is my wife is allergic to corn and msg :/. That means I have to make everything including rubs from scratch
                          and have been for over 10 years

I'm starting to like this dry brining technique. I tried it on ribs the other day and it worked well. Ralph's has a deal 50% off ribs so I'm stocking up this weekend

My family will only eat rare anything above and they think it's murdering the taste of the meat

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here