Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Reverse Sear Interruptus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Reverse Sear Interruptus

This is a question about a fairly specific situation, but I hope that the answer would have more universal applicability.

My in-laws are arriving for a visit on Sunday (insert joke here), and they like to eat dinner early. They won't get here till about 7:30 pm, and they'll want to eat ASAP. I was planning on reverse searing some NY strips using the Slow n Sear, and my question is: Can I slow cook the steaks to 115 degrees ahead of time and put them aside, then sear them when my in-laws arrive? Or would that be a disaster?

Forgive me if this is a moronic question!

No problem at all. The intervening chill down period will also help you really get a good sear without overcooking.

Comment

YES! I do it all the time waiting for the sides to catch up so the steaks are piping hot when it's chow time. Of course it depends on how long they'd have to sit, you want it to be within reason. Not a moronic question at all!

Comment

Thanks, guys! Incredibly helpful--and will make my grilling life easier on Sunday and going forward.

Comment

Just saying, this is where a Sous Vide process would be perfect. Timing is much less of an issue.

Comment

• AdamG
            AdamG commented
            Editing a comment
            I've been tempted but I'm still grooving on using the Slow n Sear!

How long are you talking? If you are talking 15-30 minutes, go for it. That's a pretty standard rest time for reverse sear for me as I take the steak off the grill and wait for the coals to get ripping hot before start the sear...the longer the rest the longer the sear as the internal temp will drop a bit.

If you are talking 2 hours, that might be dicey

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Totally agree. I'm usually in the 15-30 min category myself.

• AdamG
            AdamG commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll definitely keep this in mind. Thanks for the heads up.

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, what shify and Huskee said.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Comment

I find having a "fairly specific situation" with "universal applicability" a fascinating choice of lingo on the Pit. Well done sir (pun intended)!

Comment

• Draznnl
              Draznnl commented
              Editing a comment
              It is rare for someone to earn a well done from you, FireMan

Last Friday I did some sirloin over some coals that wee just below 200. Cooked them to about 120, but it had been a long day and I didn't want to fire up another cooker to do a reverse sear. The one we had Friday night was ok, but not tender. Saturday I put the other steak on some screaming hot grill grates and brought it back up to 125 IT. Beautiful sear, and very tender.

Comment

I’ve done this often but if I know there is going to be a longer wait, say an hour or 2, I would cook it to desired finished temp vs. 15 -20 degrees below that. I learned this from Jacob Burton, who has great cooking content on YouTube. Then, I certain I dry off all moisture and a thin coat of oil before finishing off on raging fire.

The longer rest allows the meat to fully cook and once seared off, the desired fineness is there.

rob

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here