Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding Grass-Fed Chuck for Burgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinding Grass-Fed Chuck for Burgers

I am planning to grind a few pound chuck roast that was 100% grass fed for burgers soon. Basically grind it, and then follow my usual burger recipe with seasonings etc. Should I make any adjustments from starting with the typical store-bought ground beef?

You will probably need to add fat. Most grass-fed beef I've had is pretty lean.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Grind in brisket trim is what I do.

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think tallow is going to work for you. You're going to want whole fat, I think.

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      STEbbq you need to come down state and visit some of our butcher shops.....I'm thinking you'll find plenty of tallow.
      For this grind, try adding some bacon......if you are planning to make bacon burgers anyway this would be worth it. We have a couple of local butcher shops that make these for us and they are awesome!!!

Bacon ends from the store.

Comment

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't tell her?

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      said by someone who's wife is safely halfway across the country right now.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Dan Deter my wife is sitting across from me right now. And she watches me in the kitchen so no chance! 🤣

Save your good brisket trimmings the next time you smoke one and grind some of that up with the chuck. Adds a lot of fat and a lot of flavor. Ever since I started doing this I don't feel bad about trimming the brisket a bit more aggressively since it gives me more to grind into burgers.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      I have done that but I read online that I cannot save the fat for more than a month or so before it starts deteriorating. gboss

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Vac seal and freeze

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. Got a bag of trimmings in the freezer right now. I usually use 1 pound of trimming per 2 pounds of chuck. Kind of depends on how much fat is in the trimming but it pushes it up to about a 60/40 lean to fat ratio.

I cooked grass fed beef yesterday. It was my first and only experience with it. Because of that, I held back some on the salt and spices. Even so, it was close to being over spiced. Not so much with the salt but with the pepper and garlic. It might be something to consider with your grind.

Comment

Thanks for all of the tips guys. I bought some beef tallow off Amazon so we will give that a try this time. Maybe I can use any leftovers to inject my next brisket.

Comment

Burgers were a big success and disappeared so fast I didn’t have time for pics. Very juicy and flavorful! I was surprised that the chuck roast had a bone in though, which was nearly a pound! Not going to buy these again…

Thanks for the help guys.
        Last edited by STEbbq; July 3, 2022, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          So you just put a glop of tallow in with the ground meat? Did you chill it first? I can't get my brain around using rendered fat instead of grinding fat off a hunk of meat. Glad to hear that it was a success.

Kathryn

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc Well, yeah. I ground the meat once, put my tallow on top, and ground everything again. 🤷‍♀️
          Last edited by STEbbq; July 4, 2022, 05:18 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here