Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Chucky Chili Adventure--

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Chucky Chili Adventure--

After seeing several posts about substituting pulled chuck roast for ground beef in chili, I had to try it.

I started with leftover pulled chuck roast that was rubbed with Pit Barrel's Beef Rub and smoked with an equal mix of pecan and cherry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11-25-2015 9-47-45 AM.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	123418

I used a standard easy-peasy (but good) chili mix using my usual method; with the exception of substituting 3/4 Cabernet for my usual 3/4 cup full bodied American Lager beer (usually Yuengling).

Name:	11-25-2015 9-51-46 AM.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	123419

Here the recipe in total:

1 lb pulled smoked chuck roast
    1 jar Tabasco original chili starter mix
    1 small diced onion
    1 TBSP jalapeno ghee (can substitute butter)
    3/4 Cup Yellowtail Cabernet Sauvignon
    1 can regular Ro-Tel tomatoes and chilies (including all liquid in can)
    1 can drained and rinsed dark red kidney beans
    1 can drained and rinsed black beans

Saute the diced onion and ghee (or butter) until onions start to get soft.
    Add in pulled chuck roast and simmer on medium stirring often to get meat heated up.
    Once meat and onions are sizzling, add in chili mix and Cabernet.
    Note: To make sure you get all of the goodie out of the chili mix jar, dump the 3/4 cup of Cabernet into it, put lid on and shake it - then add to pot.
    Stir the mixture well making sure to scrape up all the fond from the bottom of the pot.
    Add in Ro-Tels including all liquid in can and stir.
    Add in both cans of drain and rinsed beans.
    Cover pot and bring to a good simmer and let mixture reduce and stir often for about 30 minutes.
    Remove from heat for about 15 minutes and serve with topping of your choice: cheese, onions, fritos, etc.

The meat will continue to break down and absorb a lot of the liquid.

Name:	11-25-2015 9-48-21 AM.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	123420

Here is my take on the results:

1. This dish was very, very good, but it seems much richer with the red wine and sits very heavy.
    2. The chuck roast almost made the mouthfeel of this dish seem more like Brunswick stew - again making it sit very heavy.
    3. Although it was very tasty, it just doesn't seem like chili - this was more of a spicy beef stew.

My wife and mother-in-law had the same take - really good, but not really "chili" as we think of it.
    I grew up learning that chili was always made with hamburger and you could make it 3 ways: regular with beans, Texas style with no beans and Hot Dog chili.

If it makes any difference we have also tried the "white chili" with chicken and although it wasn't bad -- it wasn't true chili in our minds.

Anyway - thanks for the ideas guys -- using the Cabernet in lieu of beer really made a difference. I can't wait to make this again with plain ground beef and wine!

We packed the remainder in a container and put in the fridge for one of those cold, cruddy winter days we are sure to have in 2016 and are getting all amped up for Turkey Day tomorrow!

Cheers and be safe!!

HC

Before anyone says anything, I'm a real chili maven. That is a pretty doggone good chili starter. It's a good thing to have in the pantry for when you're in a pinch for a quick meal.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally. The wife and I both work and this is an awesome 30 minute chili. I normally follow the same recipe as above, but with ground beef and Yeungling beer in lieu of pulled chuck and Cabernet. The Ro-Telsmgive it just the right residual heat without being too spicy. I also like the spicy version of the Tabasco chili starter, but it is too much for the rest of the tender foots in my camp.

It'll be good on chili dogs too, HC in SC . Sometimes I mix a pound of ground beef and add the pulled chuck too, especially with meat marinara sauce. Or I put some ground beef in the meat marinara sauce for spaghetti and add the smoked Italian sausage that I make when I smoke chickens instead of pulled chuckie.

You might want to chop the smoked chuck rather than pull it if you don't like the mouthfeel of pulled chuck in your chili. All in all, though, it sounds as though you're heading back to the ground beef-based chili camp. I'll wave at you from my chuckie chili camp across the way.

I don't think I'll be adding wine to chili any time soon, though. To me, beer in chili is like PB&J.

Kathryn

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      At this point it is all semantics. I will probably make this dish again, but will have to call it "spicy beef stew with beans". Calling it "chili" in our house will just get everyone all confused.

Give the wine a try once (it's good in the dish too - lol). It does give the whol thing more body and richness. I am a beer guy too, but I'll admit this was a very positive learning experience overall. Thanks.

Here's my recipe using smoked chuck that may be more like you're used to.

Smoked chucky
    1 onion, diced
    8 oz tomato sauce
    1 can chicken broth plus 1 tbs chicken base
    1 small can tomatoes
    2 TBS chile powder
    1 can hot chili beans
    1 can green chilies
    Cook onions in 1 TBS or 2 of oil. Add chuck and stir around a bit till warmed up. Add chili powder, stirring, till fragrant. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 2 hours.

Here's my chile powder recipe. I think it's from Cook's Illustrated.
    10 TBS Anaheim, New Mexico, or Guajillo powder 3 TBS Ground cumin
    3 TBS Oregano
    3 TBS Garlic Powder
    2 TBS Cayenne
    2 TBS pasilla or other mild chili powder (I typically use California chili powder.)
    I also add 2 TBS of Gebhardts chili powder. If you can't find it, it'll be fine without it.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks doc! Looks like an awesome chili! The chile powder recipe looks jam-up!

Like I mentioned to fzxdoc, it's all down to semantics at this point. To me, your recipe above would have to be classified as spicy Texas style beef stew. 😀

Not to take anything away from your recipe (or mine above), but in the vernacular of our household, "chili" means ground beef base.

If I can get my hands on my wife's hot dog chili recipe I post it. Hot dog chili is totally a specific type here in the Carolinas and Georgia - kinda like the "no ketchup on hot dogs" rule in Chicago.

Appreciate the recipe - esp your homemade chili powder.

PS - You owe it to yourself to try the Tabasco chili starter. It is nothing totally mind blowing, but for 30 minute chili it is pretty tasty. Often we don't have time to spend a couple of hours making chili during the week when working, so the Tabasco starter is always in the pantry. As with most chili and spaghetti sauce, it only gets better when reheated. You can go Texas style or add beans of your liking.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here