Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternatives, options and experiences? Smoked Chuck burnt ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternatives, options and experiences? Smoked Chuck burnt ends

I think this is a very interesting topic w/ the price of prime brisket, and everything else for that matter.

I read the previous post when someone here made the Jeff Phillips recipe and it made me scratch my head. Not because I thought there was anything wrong with it. I'm sure its amazing and delicious. It's just very different from anything I've read or seen before regarding smoked chuck burnt ends.

I'm a relative newb. I've done several briskets and loved the results. Burnt ends were my very fave... every time I cubbed the point, tossed in sauce and gave them a little bit of crisp char.

I have a KBQ so things tend to cook faster. I did three thick prime chucks. They were very well marbled. They only took about 3 hours to got great color and 165 internal. I wrapped to finish, barely another two hours, more like 1:45. Was very well done, though still tender and very juicy. I wanted well done, falling apart so I could pull.

Please forgive my newb questions, I mean no disrespect but am wondering out loud. I've watched several YouTube videos on making chuck burnt ends by Jeremy Yoder, Malcom Reed and several others. Been wanting to try them.
    • Smoking a 3 lb chuck for 8 hours, then two hours more seems like a long time (Jeff Phillips recipe).
    • I also, wonder what the difference is between simply applying slather (perhaps even Worcestershire sauce) and rub and wet marinade?
    • Cubing right away, smoking on the grate, would give rub & bark all around and cook faster. Though I realize one would need be very careful to not over cook as smaller pieces might be more prone to drying out.
    • Once tender, then could be tossed in sauce to caramelize at higher temp.
    Just wondering what the difference might be between the Jeff Phillips recipe and this method.
    Anyone here have experience w/ this method?
    What have people's experiences been w/ chuck burnt ends?
    Respectfully,
    ​​​​​​​JD

I’m watching this closely as well. One of my biggest fails was making chuck burnt ends. I kept them on the smoker for 4 hours at 275 and then in a confit of tallow at 160 for a long hold. They were like pieces of charcoal.

rob

Comment

I have used the Jeff Phillips method with success. But my favorite is the Malcom Reed recipe. Half the time and less room for error. In short, cube at the start, smoke for a couple hours at 275 on a rack, then pan and braise in 50/50 sauce and beef broth for a couple hours. Yum.

Comment

Originally posted by Jfrosty27 View Post
        I have used the Jeff Phillips method with success. But my favorite is the Malcom Reed recipe. Half the time and less room for error. In short, cube at the start, smoke for a couple hours at 275 on a rack, then pan and braise in 50/50 sauce and beef broth for a couple hours. Yum.
        Hey J,
        Thanks for posting this. That will be my very next cook -smoke!
        Of all the techniques I’ve seen, Malcom’s seems to make the most sense.
        Best Regards,
        JD

Comment

IMO.....why use a chuck roast when prime brisket is way cheaper....like almost 1/2 the price. Costco has had prime briskets for 3.69-3.99 lb for a long time now but choice chuck roast was $6.79 lb if I remember right. I've cooked a ton of low and slow chuck roasts and still would rather have a brisket. Am I missing something with this chuck roast burnt end thing?

Comment

I understand your question for sure.
            I’m not a member of Costco. Not local or worth it for me.
            At my local butcher shop, really great, well marbled prime chuck cheaper than their brisket, No need for trimming. If I could get only point I’d certainly consider it.
            I absolutely love brisket. The point of this for a quick & easy cook, that’s not a huge investment in money or time.
            JD
            Last edited by jjdbike; June 8, 2022, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Dadof3Illinois I use chuck for a few reasons. First, it’s just two of us and a brisket, even just a flat or point individually, is just too big. Second, after trimming and shrinkage, the cost of a brisket is way way higher than the initial price you paid. Chuck requires little trimming and shrinks less in my opinion. Last, chuck BE’s can be done in four hours or so. Way faster than a big brisket. Anyway, those are my reasons. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: I just got to the grocery store and they have chuck roasts on sale for $3.99/pound. Stocking up…
              Last edited by Jfrosty27; June 8, 2022, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
                Dadof3Illinois commented
                Editing a comment
                Just my thoughts but I would take a prime brisket over a chuck any day. I think we need another challenge, maybe cook a prime brisket point and a similar sized chuck roast and see what people think in a blind taste test?

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                Dadof3Illinois I never said chuck BE’s taste the same as brisket BE’s. They absolutely do not. If we’re comparing taste, it’s brisket all the way. The chuck variety is simply a convenient substitute if you’re ok with a couple trade offs. I am.

Poor Man's Burnt Ends are not as tasty as Pork Belly Burnt Ends.
              They're good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jfrosty27 View Post
                Dadof3Illinois I use chuck for a few reasons. First, it’s just two of us and a brisket, even just a flat or point individually, is just too big. Second, after trimming and shrinkage, the cost of a brisket is way way higher than the initial price you paid. Chuck requires little trimming and shrinks less in my opinion. Last, chuck BE’s can be done in four hours or so. Way faster than a big brisket. Anyway, those are my reasons. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: I just got to the grocery store and they have chuck roasts on sale for $3.99/pound. Stocking up…
                Yup, same here.
                I do prefer brisket, but like you said.
                I've been trying to find someone to sell me a prime point. Everyone I've called so far only has choice flats or whole packer.
                JD

Comment

Originally posted by bbqLuv View Post
                  Poor Man's Burnt Ends are not as tasty as Pork Belly Burnt Ends.
                  They're good.
                  Interesting,

I need to look into that. I had pork belly once in a pork belly BLT. I found it very gross. I thought it would be similar to bacon. It was jus gooey slimy pork fat. Yuck. I couldn't eat the sandwich. It was at a trendy bistro and it was the lunch special.

Please forgive my ignorance here. This question is purely based on the above expereince.

Is that just what pork belly is, i.e. gooey pork fat?
                  JD

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here