Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first brisket!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first brisket!

After building up some confidence on other cuts of meat, I decided it was time to try out my first brisket!

Costco prime- about 12 lbs
    Injected with a salty reduced beef broth, worcestershire sauce, and a tiny bit of liquid smoke
    Rubbed with Harry Soo's SYD all purpose rub
    Hickory + apple @ 250 for about 7 hours to 160, then foiled
    Removed @ 203 however i probed the point instead of the flat- rookie move, but the flat still came out good and passed the accordion test (think it was cause the marbling in the prime helped prevent it from drying out too much?).

Cooked it for our company potluck. I work at an oil and gas company in CA with a lot of Texas transplants... one admitted it was "better than Texas" so that's a win in my book!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2780.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	123300 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2781.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	123301 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2783.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	123302 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2799.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	123303 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2801.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	123304
    Attached Files

Very Nice! I am attempting my first brisket on Saturday after my first attempt with meatheads spatcotch turkey on thursday. A lot of the enjoyment of the BBQ is going to purchase the meat. The turkey is in the fridge, I will be making the weekly pilgramage to Maplewood Meats for the brisket on Friday!

Comment

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck!!

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      SaturdayShoppe a few words of advice i have gotten that have helped (you may already have way more bbq wisdom than I do):

- the injection i used was 2 cans of beef broth reduced by half, then add a tablespoon of wors. sauce and a teaspoon of liquid smoke. Add salt until it gets really yucky. usually a few tbsp. at least. Inject with the grain and outdoors (else your kitchen will be a mess)
      -buy choice or better. i purchased prime both times with good results
      -I cooked mine around 250
      -prop a couple wood chunks underneath the brisket (on the grate of the grill) to make it "astro dome" shaped. That way the fat does not pool up on the brisket so the bark can form nicely.
      -foil it around 160 or when the bark is formed - if you can scratch it without rub coming off you should be good and add 1/2- 1 can of beef broth - pour slowly on the bark and it should absorb the beef broth unless you cook with a lot of water or spray really often.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

I am doing a turkey as well, not sure about spatchcocking it yet!

You definitely knock that sucker out the park!!!

Biggest mistake(s) people make on their first is:

1. NOT knowing what grade they are buying, or calling it a "brief brisket" Meathead Video outtake.
    2. NOT achieving awesome bark like you have
    3. NOT getting some feel for the proper temp

That definitely does NOT look like someone's first brisket. Congrats!!!

Comment

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

NICE COOK!!! smokinfatties

Comment

Awesome job you nailed that!

Comment

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you !!

I bet it tasted as good as it looks too! Great job!

Comment

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

smokinfatties, Looks Fit to Eat To Me, Nice Job! 👍👍🦃👍👍 Eat Well and Prosper! Happy Thanksgiving! Dan

Comment

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Dan! Happy thanksgiving to you too!

smokinfatties Great Job... I would be proud of that!

You are brave, cooking first time brisket for a bunch of Texans... heh heh

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here