Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For steaks: the OTHER thermometer you want.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For steaks: the OTHER thermometer you want.

It’s this one:
    ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

It’s not a big investment, like $12-$13. Don’t forget to use your AR link to Amazon, every little bit helps.

Here’s why. It’s what Meathead writes about the different types of heat transfer: conduction, convection, and radiation. And about our grill marks, and why you don’t want them.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...oking-and-how/

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...ould-not-flip/

We all know what a great steak looks like, and what it tastes like. We also know how hard it can be to achieve that in our kitchen and back yard. I’ve seen some outstanding steaks in SUWYC, so I know there are people who have figured it out… and I also know that you get there by cooking a lot of steaks. And steaks are expensive. If only there was a way to KNOW.

There’s a lot written about steakhouses and 1000* ovens. And you can buy dedicated steak ovens for your patio that advertise 1000* and 1200*. But that is radiant heat. We can get that, sometimes. I can get it in my kamado, if I lower the grate to about an inch or two over the lump. Some IR burners on gas grills can get you close. But I’ve never gotten anywhere close to that on my Weber Kettle. I probably could, with a whole bag or more of coal, but I haven’t tried.

An easier way to make a good steak, inside or outside, is to use a cast iron skillet, or griddle, or a stainless steel griddle. Take advantage of conductive heat. And here’s where that infrared thermometer, which costs half as much as a decent steak, earns its investment. Because if you crank your grill up to its max… if you get that cast iron up to 1000*… or 900*… or even 700*… you’re going to burn that steak! I know! I burned them! Because 1000* conduction is WAY more than 1000* radiant.

So here’s what I do. I put my cast iron on the grill (or on top of the stove, of course). On the Weber, I use the half moon stainless Drip ‘n Griddle from S&S. And I get that to 500*. Like lots of things cooking, that’s not etched in stone. 475* is okay. 550* works too. But if you use 350*, what happens is your steak won’t brown until the inside is gray. If you use 700*, your outside will burn to black charred ash before the inside is even 100*.

You can say, "But Mosca. I sous vide my steaks, and that pretty much solves the problem." Yes, it does. There are many paths. I love sous vide. But it’s a PITA for me. Everything I’ve ever sous vided has come out fantastic… but nevertheless the sous vide circulator sits in a drawer. Everything comes out fantastic this way, too, and I didn’t have to get out the get out the sous vide circulator mid-afternoon.
    Last edited by Huskee; January 8, 2022, 03:48 PM.

unless im missing something, im not seeing a link to said thermometer
    Last edited by grantgallagher; January 8, 2022, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      roger that
      no joy

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      i did indeed mean not seeing a link

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Link added below.

I googled OTHER thermometer, didn’t find it 😂
    Last edited by smokenoob; January 8, 2022, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I use IR thermometers regularly in cooking. I have them in both homes. I have not found a $12-$13 one that seems worthwhile yet, so I'd like to see the link.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Link below.

On my kettle, I raise the charcoal to within an inch of the steak. I just put bricks under the charcoal grate and pile the briquets at least 3 deep.

Here's a link to the IR thermometers we've tested https://amazingribs.com/thermometers...r_function=gun

And for searing, let's not forget the Afterburner https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...t-killer-sear/

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Many paths. I took your flank steak cook and adapted it to my kamado!

I’ve been cooking a lot indoors now, and using the cast iron for steaks. I hate cleaning the glass cooktop so much. But I hate working outdoors in the cold, too. Bah.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Meathead, maybe you guys should do a comparison between that $150 Thermoworks IR and a $15 IR thermometer or a range of more affordable ones? Seems like it would be a simple experiment to conduct. I'm not convinced the Thermoworks is worth it but would really like to see it tested.

Here’s the link:

Last edited by Mosca; January 8, 2022, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll give it a try even though the brand is uh…..interesting
        ChengBangDa 😳

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        $20 is a helluva lot cheaper than $70 so a Mosca seal of approval is enough for me. I am in!

(Updated with our secret code)

Comment

If I’m searing on iron I go with 500-650F. Go north of 700 and you won’t have time to get a good sear before you get char. Plus around 800F your seasoning will start to burn off.

Comment

IR thermometers are as handy as a pocket on a shirt. Mosca is so right about getting the cast iron too hot. The first pizza I cooked on my kamado was using a Lodge cast iron pizza stone. I got it to 750F and slid my pizza on it. The top was beautiful, but the bottom was burnt beyond saving. I blacken quit few steaks and some fish on CI, with out a IR thermometer I get burnt instead of blackened every time. Back when I worked on cars I used an IR thermometer to find weak or dead cylinders. The exhaust port on a bad cylinder will be colder than the others.

Comment

IR thermometers have tons of different uses and are really handy to have around. Bear in mind emissivity though - reflective metals and surfaces will read differently than dull surfaces. So stainless griddles will likely not read accurately

Thermometers, BBQ, Cooking, Kitchen Tools, Steak, Doneness, Commercial grade

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you I needed this insight.

• gboss
              gboss commented
              Editing a comment
              This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Not just reflective surfaces either. As your link indicates, anything that isn't black isn't going to be accurate unless you know the emissivity.

I can't tell you how many times I've had someone looking through an IR camera and measuring the reflection of a lamp or something other than what they think they're measuring.

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Good info.

I just used this for my British fish and chips. Worked like a champ! Great deal.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here