Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket point pastrami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket point pastrami

I have a ~4lb commercially cured corned beef brisket point desalinating that I'm planning to make into pastrami this week. My question is, fat cap on or off? Thanks.

For me, the best pastrami does not have a thick layer of fat, and it makes great Reuben sandwichs.

Last edited by bbqLuv; January 3, 2022, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking sammie!

I take most of the fat cap off for pastrami, especially if sous vide is involved.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      No sous vide this time, but that (trim it off) was my instinct. I just didn't want to ruin it because I overpaid for the corned beef 😕

• Joey877
      Joey877 commented
      Editing a comment
      Remember when corned beef brisket was one of the cheapest cuts you could get? It's crazy now.

I always trim the fat cap off of brisket when making pastrami. I find it not that pleasurable to eat and if you remove it post cooking all of the rub will come off too.

Comment

I took the fat cap down fairly low when I made pastrami from a point. I had separated it from a Costco prime packer. Photos of the post-cure, pre-smoke point can give a good idea of the amount of fat I left. I am not a pastrami expert (don't have much of a reference of the "good stuff") but my I think my results were fairly good.

Attached Files

Comment

Trimmed to 1/4" or off, your preference. Remember, you/people are going to be eating slices of this on a sandwich. Anyone want to see a 1" layer of fat on each slice?

Comment

I trim as much of the point as I can. There is a ton of inter-muscular fat in there to be moist and tender. Plus, you dont want people trimming off that fat cap when they eat it......then you can say "see ya later" to all of that amazing pastrami rub.

Pastrami Point might be the best thing in BBQ. IMHO, of course.

Comment

I love pastrami fat personally. I leave about 1/4" on mine, but each to his own. It's really no difference than leaving some on when doing straight brisket. Now if it's corned beef, no way it's all gotta go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	QVQ Pastrami 01.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1153876

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here