Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: Bison Short Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Bison Short Ribs

I was inspired by @grantgallagher 's recent Beef Chuck Rib result https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/food-recipes-techniques-show-us-what-youre-cooking/show-tell/1145678-show-us-what-you-re-cooking-suwyc-volume-24-winter-2021-2022p=1152639#post1152639 and went online to look at Creekstone, and MarxFoods.

I saw these Bison Bone in Short Ribs at Marx: https://www.marxfoods.com/Bison-Short-Ribs

Does anyone have experience with Bison short ribs?

ps. I just ordered 35 lbs of outside skirt from Marx! It comes frozen, 2 pieces per vac pack. They're offering a New Year's 10% off any order, always with free shipping. 😜
    Last edited by Dr. Pepper; January 1, 2022, 05:31 PM.

From the product description:

Like many game meats, bison meat is much healthier than conventional grain-fed beef. Its primary health benefits are its low fat content (less than a third as much fat as similar cuts of beef),
    So I'd be careful dry roasting or smoking it past medium. If you want to, I'd consider smoking to ~135 or so, then braising to finish it since the moist heat will prevent it from being dry. Even then, I'd not cooking it all day, etc
    Last edited by rickgregory; January 1, 2022, 06:01 PM.

Comment

This place lists them for $9.95/lb, 4 lb minimum. Scroll down over 1/2 way to find them.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        Man I checked that place out, I've been wanting to try some elk meat. But the repeated warning about shipping lower amounts of meat and inability to see shipping estimates until after you've input all your home address, email, phone numbers AND credit card information turned me off. I ended up not buying. Hell, I don't want to give them all that information (now I'm already on their mail list) and THEN still find out shipping is $100-150 or something.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        You can always call them and get a shipping estimate. That is what I plan to do for the same reasons you mention.

I think they wouldn’t be nearly as good as beef short ribs due to the lack of marbling.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here