Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket

How long can a commercially plastic vac. sealed brisket actually stay safe refrigerated above freezing but below 35 deg. Is there tell tale signs in the bag?

Cryovac should be good for 45 days in the fridge from the packing date.

I had a couple that probably went a tad over that. Had a pretty strong odor on some contaminated spots on the point that were easily trimmed off. They grew in size, those spots, not the briskets.

Comment

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod: I've had one or two cryovac-ed racks of lamb from Costco go "bad" (reek, no visible rot to my untrained eye) before the sell-by date. This over many years--I'm NOT trying to slam Costco; I love them, I just wanted to identify the packing method accurately.

Anyway, what do you suspect has happened in these case?

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Willy How was the coloration of the lamb? Leaky bags will cause some briskets to go bad pretty quick. I've had briskets leak during the thawing process. Makes me glad I didn't wet-age THOSE briskets. And then you have the obvious briskets with leaks (loose cryovac), that are pink all over like they been spray painted.

No tellin' on lamb as to the possible contamination.

• Willy
      Willy commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod: It looked fine and I don't think there were any leaks. The vacuum was tight. I chose to trust my nose and not my eyes.

always use the pack date you know pretty much when the animal was dispatched beef for sure 45 days or more

Comment

My wife just texted a pic of Sams Club brisket @ 2.59 lb on a 17 pounder.
      Sell by date is 6 days away, if I froze it, or went a few days past the sell by date??

Comment

• w0nq
        w0nq commented
        Editing a comment
        Or is freezing it while still within the window a viable sol'n?

• w0nq
        w0nq commented
        Editing a comment
        all about the cheap meat

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here