Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rib roast, 2-way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rib roast, 2-way

After checking all the posts about how people are doing their rib roast, I started talking to myself about how to do mine. Surprisingly I got a very good answer.

Here's the situation, our 2 sons & their wives, along with our 6 grandchildren and 1 of my DIL'S mother will be at our house for dinner tomorrow. I have a 7 bone standing rib roast to cook. 4 of the grands are under 12 years old and not big meat eaters, also some of the women won't be eating much meat. So, I didn't want to be giving everyone a big prime rib slice and having a lot go to waste.

The solution was to bone the roast and have the ribs for another meal, I cut off a 4 bone section and removed the spinalis and saved that for the chef later in the week, leaving the eye for the roast. I left the spinalis on the remaining 3 bone section for a typical prime rib appearance. I rolled and tied both pieces into nice cylinders.

The bigs guys will get the big slices and the littles will get nice eye slices, as well as the women that don't want the big pieces. Since I wasn't sure about how much time it would take to have both done at the same time, I'll be SVing them @131 for about 5 hours and then searing them with a paste of Mrs. O'Leary's rub & water. I've dry brined both roasts with Oak Ridge BBQ Spogos overnight.

Problem solved!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_61e.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	63.6 KB ID:	1147985 Click image for larger version  Name:	fullsizeoutput_61f.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	99.2 KB ID:	1147986
    Last edited by wrgilb; December 24, 2021, 06:00 PM.

SPOGOS!!!!!!

sounds like a great plan!

Comment

No Bones, no rib roast.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        No bones no STANDING rib roast; it is still a rib roast.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Rib Roasting on an open fire,

I did my standing rib like this yesterday. Really a good way to do the roasts with the added benefit of a nice rib cap and some ribs. After 5 hours in the SV the meat was like butter.

Comment

Excellent idea that clearly worked for your situation. Faced with a similar dilemma a couple years ago I decided to cut the roast into individual steaks. That way I could cook each to the desired doneness of each person. In that case there where no complaints but yep I get it. It's no longer a roast. Point is sometimes thinking outside the box will yield some pretty good results.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here