Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pot Roast...to smoke or not to smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It certainly won't taste like a traditional pot roast, but is that a bad thing?
    Only you know who you are cooking for mate.
    I have some family who I wouldn't bother doing this for because it would 'taste funny' haha

Comment

7x57mm Back around St. Patrick's day, I changed up the traditional corned beef and cabbage meal by smoking the corned beef on the kettle+SNS until it had some bark and was out of the stall (about 170F). I then moved it into a cast iron dutch oven with the cabbage, carrots, potatoes, etc, and braised it with the lid on the dutch oven until it was done, about 2 hours. That was plenty of time for all the veggies to be done, and it had a nice smoked flavor.

I think you could take the same approach with pot roast. Just smoke your chuck roast for a few hours, get some bark and smoke on it, then move it to the dutch oven, slow cooker, whatever, with your other ingredients, and let it finish up by braising with the rest of the stuff.

If you want to catch any juices and add them to the braise, put a drip pan under the chuck roast while its in the smoker.

Comment

• wrgilb
        wrgilb commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris wouldn't your corned beef smoked to 170 have a pastrami finish, before you moved it into the dutch oven?

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        wrgilb not as much as you would think. That said, we love pastrami too, so that wouldn’t be a bad thing. The braise in the covered pot serves to soften up the bark as I recall, not having done this since May.

If I could figure out how to smoke ice cream I would. Does that about sum it up for ya?

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Cold smoke th milk, buttermilk, heavy cream yer usin to make said ice cream...

Pro Tip? Add finely minced Bacon, fer Th Win.

Lil tetch of garlic never hurts, neither, but you do you...

Peppers can also be involved, but quite another story.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Ohhh bacon ice cream …. Stop talking naughty to like that Mr. Bones 😂👍🤪

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        If ya feel like cleanin th FP, run th bacon through there, after smokin it

Ain't Too Sham Dabby, all up in some French Vanilla

Lawdy, Lawdy! Don;t even git me started on toppins!!!

Reckon I might go all kinda Bubba Blue on y'all LOL
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 11, 2021, 10:07 AM.

I've done it. It was really good. However, something about traditional pot roast that is very appealing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here