Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Short Ribs...Matambre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Short Ribs...Matambre

This past weekend we had beef short ribs and matambre on the smoker.

Matambre is flank steak in southern Brazil and Argentina. In Brazil it means "shoe leather" and in Argentina it means "hunger killer".

The way you prepare it is... butterfly the meat and add ingredients on top of the meat and roll it up. There are several recipes and ways to cook/prepare. I butterflied it, put fresh polish sausage (casing removed), garlic, carrots, herbs, and gruyere cheese. And then I rolled it up and then rolled it in a bacon weave. I put the AR spin on it. I dry brined 24 hours before and then added MBBBR on the outside.

So the cook started with short ribs. I bought the whole rib, which comes with the flank steak. So I decided to make the matambre together. I removed the flank steak and then cleaned the short ribs. They were dinosaur bones in 3 bone sections. I dry brined 24 hours, injected beef stock, added MBBBR and smoked with pecan wood. For the mop I decided to add beef stock and some of the MBBBR to the water pan and used a baster to suck up some of the juice and pore it over the ribs after it had time to mix with the rib drippings.

Pit Boss====I am not sure if you remember, but we had a discussion a short while ago and I was trying to discover which type of beef ribs I had in a picture from a cook we did in Brazil. With the different names for cuts of beef, I wasn't sure if they were short ribs or beef back ribs. After some back and forth, we discovered they were short ribs. Well I finally got to make them with my father-in-law here from Brazil. He loved them and now he believes that American BBQ is not just hot dogs, hamburgers and burnt chicken breast. And they were made the AR style!!!

PS.....The before and during pictures are staged...Unfortunately the after pictures are harder to take when you have a kitchen full of people waiting to eat and you say, STOP!!!! I need some pictures for "The Pit" They think you are some type of geek to take pictures of food...but that is soon replaced as they start eating. Cheers

Looks delicious. I hear you on the during pictures being hard. My wife still rolls her eyes when I'm snapping food pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal Passado View Post
      Pit Boss====I am not sure if you remember, but we had a discussion a short while ago and I was trying to discover which type of beef ribs I had in a picture from a cook we did in Brazil. With the different names for cuts of beef, I wasn't sure if they were short ribs or beef back ribs. After some back and forth, we discovered they were short ribs. Well I finally got to make them with my father-in-law here from Brazil. He loved them and now he believes that American BBQ is not just hot dogs, hamburgers and burnt chicken breast. And they were made the AR style!!!

I definitely remember this conversation. I'm glad we've been able to impress your father-in-law He's got some serious BBQ chops from what I remember of our conversation.

BTW, Awesome barbecue!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here