Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brief my Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brief my Beef

Last weekend let a friend know I'd be making some smoked beef for sammies and had space to throw a hunk on for him same time.
    Suggested getting the meat from the butchery that I have established a good relationship with, but he got his from another butchery.
    I have never desalinated the pickled beef from my regular butcher and did not think things through by omitting to desalinate his (lesson learnt).
    In a nutshell it come off way to salty and chose not to give it to him (did rescue it for my own use and it turned out good).
    Bought another to replace his from a different butchery altogether.
    Obviously to avoid going down the same path again, I'm paying more attention this time.
    Going to cut a piece off and fry for a salt test.
    Here are pics of the meat. What I don't get is the label on the back states "partially cooked". To me it would have a different look to it if it was partially cooked.
    Any thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211106_090009.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1120786

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211106_090117.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	1120787

It's corned beef. It retains the pink color because of the Sodium Nitrite. I've never desalinated commercial corned beef. I've always used it for making New England Boiled Dinner. Seems as if most of the salt ends up in the simmering water.

I've heard of people smoking commercially prepared corned beef but I've never tried it. I wouldn't think it would get tender on a smoker.
    Last edited by Bkhuna; November 6, 2021, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here