Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make ahead chuckie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make ahead chuckie

I’m hosting a party Sat, one of the things I’m serving is Pulled Beef Chuck. I’ll be cooking the roast the day before. I’m wondering if it’s better to shred or slice the beef right after cooking or wait until I reheat the next day?

Definitely wait until you reheat it the next day. Otherwise you will lose too much moisture.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto, ditto
      And don't pop open the beer until served.

• SierraBBQGuy
      SierraBBQGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      I bourbon acceptable?

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Absolutely!

Should be easier to shred while still warm, but if you're going for thin slices, easier to slice when cold.

Comment

I was actually thinking I’d shred it, but perhaps since I do have a meat slicer, slicing up cold might be a great choice. What temp temp should I take it to for that? Still 200° ish, or something a bit less?

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd pull a little earlier. I don't pay to much attention to temp. I'll start probing around 190*. For slicing you wouldn't want to go full "probe tender" as I would think it'll fall apart.

Pulled beef sliders?
      Save the au jus and apply at serving time. I do that with brisket and pulled pork.

Comment

If you have the means, I would reheat using a sous vide water bath. In either case, pulled or sliced, i think it works the best for not drying out the protein.

Comment

Originally posted by Dadof3Illinois View Post
          If you have the means, I would reheat using a sous vide water bath. In either case, pulled or sliced, i think it works the best for not drying out the protein.
          I do, good idea

Comment

Totally agree with warming using the sous vide. As noted above are you finishing in a pan or in foil? Then I would surely save that juice. Will really help on day 2.

Comment

Yup, had planned on saving the juice.

Comment

15 Lbs of USDA Prime Chuck (thats what our Costco sells) on the 2 Star for tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	41A8D16B-7EF7-48D6-B31B-52065511C8C1.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	1120343

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Loaded up!

• Jfrosty27
                  Jfrosty27 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Where’s the beef? On your Two Star! Impressive. Enjoy.

Let me second and third the whole idea of keeping them whole. Saving the jus will help to re-hydrate after you either slice or chop. All well done beef like brisket or chuck tends to oxidize once it hits the air. Keeping it in tact will prevent that from happening. Good luck, those big chuckies look tasty already !!

Comment

I ended up cooling whole over night, then used my meat slicer for paper thin slices. When mixed in with the Liquid and heated up, the beef just fell apart, perfect for pulled beef sandwiches. I had so much, I used one of the roasts for burnt ends, delicious.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here