Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me with Brisket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I love brisket (and visiting my in-laws in Texas to get some really good brisket) my definition of "real" barbecue (having grown up in NC) is a whole hog. Good luck on your quest, follow all the good advice already added in this thread, and you'll be good!

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      Whole hog is legit BBQ and I love Carolina BBQ! Kansas City has a different take on brisket than the state of Texas, in my experience. In many Kansas City BBQ joints, the brisket is served as a "beef sandwich," and the brisket is sliced thinly on a meat slicer between slices of bread and topped with sauce. Slicing it the "width of a pencil" seems to be a Texas thing. Nothing wrong with either method. Most home cooks don't have access to an electric meat slicer and the TX version is the default.

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      Being from NC where just within the state we have fights about what is the correct BBQ (eastern vs Lexington...eastern is the right answer ), I tend to visit my in-laws and say "that's damn good beef, but its not BBQ". SWMBO thinks I'm going to get shot by one of my in-laws one day...

If you've done a Boston butt for 12 to 14 hours, brisket is not anything to worry about it. And believe it or not, a full packer is probably easier to deal with than just a flat, as there are lesser concerns about drying it out.

Follow Meathead's guide over on the free side for your first one. Personally, I always do full packers from Costco (12 to 20 pounds), and I wrap in foil when the thickest part of the FLAT hits 170F. Don't monitor the point if you do a full packer, as the high fat content tends to make it behave differently. Focus on the flat temp, and the flat being probe tender. The point is like a Boston butt, and takes care of itself. Once it is done, double wrap in foil and hold in a cooler wrapped in towels (faux cambro) or a warm oven (<= 170F) for 1-2 hours, this rest helps tenderize things, and brisket is about the only meat I practice this with.

Be aware that you will lose 30-40% of the weight of the brisket in cooking, just like with a Boston butt. Slice across the grain when serving, using a good sharp knife (I use a 12" Victorinox slicer with a granton blade). So a 6 pound pre-cooked weight flat will end up being 3-4 pounds post cook, and it won't go as far as you think for feeding 4 people. You may get two meals out of it at the most. And its always best fresh, the day you make it, than reheated the next day.

Oh - only slice what you are serving too. It tends to dry out once sliced. Don't pre slice the entire thing, as the slices will dry out on the cutting board. Slice as you serve. Same with the leftovers. Slice and reheat the slices.

Comment

Everything above is great advice, but no one has mentioned the mistake I made twice. It seems logical that the thickest part of any piece of meat will take longer to cook, right? Well a packer brisket is two different connected muscles, and those muscles have very different proportions of protein, fat, and connective tissue. The thicker part (the point) will be done quite awhile (couple hours?) before the flat, which is thinner.

YOU HAVE TO KEEP COOKING IT UNTIL THE WHOLE THING IS PROBE TENDER.

When it’s really and truly done it will be very tender EVERYWHERE, and will jiggle kind of like jello. Like Aaron Franklin says on page 28 of his book: "brisket needs to cook a lot longer than you’d think to get tender".

Don’t do what lots of us do and obsess about the temperature. Forget about 198°, 203°, 210°, and everything else, and focus on tenderness.

Enjoy, take notes, and take pics. You’ll do fine.

PS: Go to 6:20 of this video and observe how soft and jiggly the meat is. https://youtu.be/sMIlyzRFUjU
      Last edited by Sid P; October 28, 2021, 12:42 PM. Reason: Added video link.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Right! Stick the probe in the thickest part of the flat, underneath the point. Don’t worry about the point, it will take care of itself.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        This is why I said in my post above to monitor the temp of the thickest part of the FLAT and ignore the point temperature. Just be sure to avoid the deckle (layer of fat between point and flat) when you insert your probe. I always do mine in from the side of the flat, as centered vertically in the flat as I can get the probe.

• Sid P
        Sid P commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris My apologies, I think your reference to both the wrap temp and done point in the same sentence confused me. I wanted to emphasize it in any case, because I messed up two flats before I "got it". Cheers.

Lots of great info and insight in this thread. I wonder if the OP has read any of it?

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point, since he has yet to respond!

Great tips! Thanks for this thread and responses. I am in the same boat as the OP. Not from Texas. I have had brisket but probably no where near the best brisket, and I have my first packer -12 lbs- in the fridge ready to smoke this weekend.

Comment

Yes, I have read it all. And I appreciate all the information and guidance. Previously, I have pored over the free side info, may threads here, and some you tube videos.

It's not that don't think I can pull it off (I am pretty confident I can do it), it's more that I have no idea what the result will be- good or bad, since I've never seen (in person), smelled or tasted a cooked brisket. So I don't know what to "do" with it (duh, eat it!).

For example, I roast a prime rib on my Weber (and now the SNS) at least 4 times a year. I cover it with SP, fresh rosemary, and a little garlic. I throw some halved potatoes in the pan, cook it to about 120, let it carry over for about 1/2 an hour, make some gravy, slice it thick, and serve it with the roasted (and smoky!) potatoes, gravy, green beans, and some horseradish on the side. Leftovers go into the fridge, where I cube some of it for hash the next day, and slice the rest for sandwiches.

My tri tip, I cook indirectly to about 128 (my family likes it closer to medium+ than med rare), reverse sear it, slice it thin, and serve it with a little fresh salsa, salad/cole slaw, and garlic bread. Leftovers go for hash, chili, and sandwiches.

So I guess my question really is more about the culture of the brisket than the technique. Having never been ensconced it the culture, I don't know where to go for the total package.
        So I think I'll change the question:

What would be your brisket "last meal"?

Comment

Originally posted by McFlyfi View Post
          Yes, I have read it all. And I appreciate all the information and guidance. Previously, I have pored over the free side info, may threads here, and some you tube videos.

It's not that don't think I can pull it off (I am pretty confident I can do it), it's more that I have no idea what the result will be- good or bad, since I've never seen (in person), smelled or tasted a cooked brisket. So I don't know what to "do" with it (duh, eat it!)....
          I think you're over thinking this a bit but there are BBQ places in LA and environs (see https://la.eater.com/maps/best-barbe...ts-los-angeles for example). I'd try some of the better rated ones perhaps.

Brisket isn't a fancy meat. The appeal is really that it has a big beefy flavor and the long smoke and rub combine to make something that is a classic flavor. The classic way to eat it is slices with the side mentioned above. Smoking it for so long, it will be firmly well done.

it's NOT prime rib and I don't think they taste much alike so I'd start with the classic sides and prep and see if you like it. As I wrote above, start with a chuck roast and those sides. It's not the same but it's close in flavor and feel - if you hate what a fully smoked chuckie and sides give you, you may well not like the brisket version.

But really, you kinda need to taste one to get it. It's hard to describe, easy to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by rickgregory View Post

But really, you kinda need to taste one to get it. It's hard to describe, easy to eat.
            I think this is the answer right here!

Comment

If I recall, you live in south Orange County. If that is so, I suggest trying the brisket from Heritage BBQ in San Juan Capistrano. Pricey, a bit of hassle as lines form early. But you can order online for pickup. The brisket is very close to Central Texas style, very well made, with good sides. Check out their website. Probably one of the best here in SoCal and a good first time experience.

EDIT: McFlyfi Ah, my bad. You stated you live in Thousand Oaks. I saw in a previous post about Zef’s BBQ you said that. Did you ever get there? Looks like Zef’s would definitely fit the idea f brisket "culture", at least from a well made, quality first time experience.
              Last edited by GolfGeezer; October 29, 2021, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here