Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Liver......Just a few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry , but I had liver once, and never again.šŸ¤¢

Comment

WAY BACK ... probably close to 35-40 years ... I had a new Weber kettle, a lingering childhood fondness (sort of) for beef liver, and a relatively new bride who rightfully thought that my grilled steaks and burgers from the kettle were her favorite. Not so much the liver, though. I used to lightly season and grill some on that old kettle after the "real" food was done and served and the briquettes were still hot. The liver, though was permanently relegated by the newly-minted SWMBO to the same "disgusting" category as things you might accidentally step in while walking in the park ... or in the yard.

I don't recall doing anything special to the liver ... just a little salt, grill it until done (in the days before thermometers), wrap it in foil, and refrigerate until time to reheat ... when SWMBO wasn't home. Often, I'd grill some onion slices along with it and wrap them in the same foil for later. It seemed perfectly normal back then ... but then again, we were on a tight budget, ketchup was cheap, and my brain wasn't fully matured. Today, one of those things has pretty much been resolved, ketchup is still cheap, and I don't want to talk about my brain.

On the bright side, it must have matured at least a little bit 'cause I sure as hell don't go willingly near liver anymore ... ...

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha, thanks. Good thing I am not married. Maybe my brain is messed up for even considering this.

I have been permanently "scarred" by beef liver, so never eat it. The very first meal I had after enlisting, at 2 AM after flying from California to Fort Bliss, TX, was cold fried liver and cold French fries. Tried to swallow the liver by using a lot of ketchup - I think the sole of shoe would have tasted better. Done with it.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      ouch

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ouch times 2. I love fried liver but definitely not cold. šŸ¤¢šŸ¤®

My mother makes the best beef liver. Iā€™m still trying to get it right.

She will get her largest cast iron pan. She will slowly cook a pound of bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon and remove some of the grease and reserve for later.

Next she will lightly flour the beef liver and brown it up in the bacon fat and then remove it from the pan.

Next a couple of onions sliced up are added to the pan and the liver is placed on top of the onions. A can of beer (Nothing too strong, she usually uses Labatt Blue) is added to the pan and then she will cover the pan with aluminum foil.

The liver and onions are braised in the pan until tender. Once they are tender the liver and onions are removed from the pan and the balance of the bacon grease, some butter and some more flour are added to the pan and cooked until golden and then beef stock is added to make the best gravy ever created.

Everything is served with mashed potatoes and the crispy bacon is sprinkled over it all.

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, man.

Liver (dusted with flour) and onions fried in bacon grease. Ain't bad at all!

Comment

First cook bacon in cast iron pan,next sliced sweet onions caramelized in the bacon fat, add chunk of butter to bacon fat cook liver on a high temp 2-3 minutes per side,never overcook liver. Cooked at a higher temp will give you a nice crunch on the liver. A side of garlic mashed with butter will make this a yum yum meal OBTW, you top liver with bacon and onions
      Last edited by GBA; September 29, 2021, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Back in the 80s, my wife and I loved the sautƩed calf liver in a curry sauce served at a Seattle restaurant called The Washington Post. The restaurant is long gone, and I haven't been able to find that specific recipe on line, but there are many curried liver recipes available.

This is a mustard/vinegar calf liver recipe from a 1986 Seattle Junior League Cookbook:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9048.jpeg
Views:	129
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1102699 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9047.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1102698

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes! My mom used to have all those Junior League cook books.

BTW, Spinaker visits the Alaskan wilderness for a week or two, and returns eating raw salmon roe and offal. Next thing you know, he'll be re-shooting The Revenant, featuring John instead of Leonardo.

Comment

Originally posted by new2smoking View Post
          BTW, Spinaker visits the Alaskan wilderness for a week or two, and returns eating raw salmon roe and offal. Next thing you know, he'll be re-shooting The Revenant, featuring John instead of Leonardo.
          Dude, I would do that in a second. Even if I had to wrestle the grizzly.

(I am actually reading the Revenant now, LOL)

Comment

Once the liver is on your plate with a HUGE pile of caramelized onions, a little yellow mustard is a good option too. It must be a German thing, but that's how I have always had it.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
              Jfrosty27 commented
              Editing a comment
              Never thought to use yellow mustard. Sounds good though. I will try that next time.

Liver is the one thing I wound up sitting at the table and refusing to eat. My mother finally gave up and started making me something else when they had liver. The only organ meats I use are a small amount of turkey and chicken livers/hearts to go into my stuffing at Thanksgiving, and I cook it outside.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here