Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Injected Tallow into Brisket. Is it Worth It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got an injector (somewhere), but to be honest, I've had such good results with brisket, butts, and turkeys that I've never felt they needed more moisture, and have never bothered injecting anything. And beef tallow to me would just make it greasy.

Even the USDA Choice (not Angus) brisket I did over the weekend was plenty moist, with no treatment other than defrosting for 5 days in the fridge, a 24 hour dry brine, and a spice rub. I do wrap my briskets in foil once they hit the 170's, and I almost always hold in cambro for several hours.

Comment

Here is my 2 cents. I did try the tallow injection method on my last brisket cook. I was a smallish 9-10 lb prime brisket I got from my local Sam's Club. I did everything Jeremy says you should do (except smoke the tallow) including injecting the brisket with tallow, adding tallow at the wrap and resting it overnight. I was unimpressed with what (if any) effect the tallow injection had on the brisket. My guests loved it, but I do not think the tallow injection is a game changer. I will try smoking tallow on my next brisket cook and add it at the time time I wrap and see if I like it any better. And for those you mentioned it before, yes, injecting the liquid beef tallow makes a mess!

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought it was too greasy personally when I did it. Maybe it was my mindset but I usually run with a better grade so I won't be doing it anytime soon.

I haven't found injecting to be effective for, not only brisket, but other lean cuts such as moose, caribou, eye of round, etc. Yes, you can add flavor(s), but the moisture vs. tenderness seems lacking. I use a completely different method, which, for me and my rig, is very effective regardless of type and quality of the meat used.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here