Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSM beef wibs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSM beef wibs

Also hot off the WSM today are prime chuck wibs from Creekstone. These got a 8 hour dry brine, topped off with pepper and garlic, and hit the 250° smoke for six hours. Checked them at 190° internal just to gauge how they were coming, and they probed tender across the rack. Stealing a page from Mad Scientist BBQ, I basted them with some waugu tallow, wrapped them in foil, and gave them a three hour rest in a 170° oven. There was a pocket of fat on top that I somehow missed when trimming them prior to the cook, so that cost me some bark in the end. I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty new to the beef wib thing, but I'm going to have to really look for any way to improve on this. Other than a little more diligence with trimming, these were as about spot on as I can imagine. I still have another four bone rack in the freezer, and I'm already chomping at the bit to get them going. Wasn't real good about getting pictures, but I did get a couple just to prove it actually happened.
    ​ ​ ​
    ​​​​​​​

Pictures do no appear. Just little boxes. No response when clicked upon.
    Sounds like You Done Good.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. No pics Will.

Agreed, sounds like a great cook, but we can't see the pics to drool over!

Comment

Try reposting your pics. Also, what went right or what went wrong in your mind?

Comment

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        The cook was pretty smooth, and I don't think i would change anything as far as time and temp go. Maybe a touch less salt for the dry brine just because, to me it was a little too pronounced. The other three people that tried them disagreed. The only real mistake was missing the deep pocket of fat when trimming them.

Sounds great. Did you cook the 4 bones as one hunk, or did you cut into two two bone hunks? I like to cut 'em to get more bark.

Comment

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        I did them as one hunk. My concern would be that they might get dry if I split them up.

Well, the pics show fine for me, but let's see if the rest of you can see them this time.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210731_220639103.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	1071102

Name:	PXL_20210801_054819201.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	1071104

Name:	PXL_20210801_055033975.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1071103

Comment

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, I can see them now. Love dem Beef wibs! Nice job.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here