Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini chuckie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini chuckie

Pulled a chuckie out of freezer a few days ago planning for dinner tomorrow.. Trimmed tonight and was left with only 1.5lb of meat from a 2.8lb package, in an unusual shape. This thing was long and thin and had a huge vein of fat right down the middle..

Anyway I brined it and rolled it up into something kinda like a cube or sphere, tied it up with butchers twine to sit overnight.

Q for tomorrow - for something so small - advice how to smoke it? Same technique as a larger hunk but just expect less cooking time? Or other suggested adjustments? (Planning to use a GMG Davy Crockett)

Thanks for all advice!

I've done some almost that small. Same thing, large HARD fat vein removal and tie her up so I don't have 2-3 large fajita strips.

I typically run at least 250 so I can get some good bark.

Comment

• das85
      das85 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, sounds exactly the same...just couldn't bring myself to leave such a big and hard chunk of fat, but then felt more like fajita strips than a roast!

Thanks for the help, makes me feel better. I usually do chuck 250 anyway so will stick to that and see how it goes!

I'm thinking burnt ends. Chuckie burnt ends or Poor man's Burnt ends. paired with PBR.

Comment

Think Tacos.

Comment

Tacos and burnt ends both good ideas thanks! Family suggested serving with pasta as well which may happen.

From a quantity perspective...I also happened to stumble across a rack of beef back ribs at a local farm this morning. Those are now sitting in water in fridge racing to thaw in time to throw on the smoker alongside mini-chuckie..

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I make a Ragu with smoked short ribs. But a smoked chuck would work just as well.

So in the end, between the chuckie itself and the mess I made of cooking it, not too far from burnt ends..

​​​​​​In a stroke of genius, left chuckie in pellet smoker and went to beach for 2.5 hours...without double checking hopper was full. Came back to no fire and no pellets, meat around 130deg, when I'd hoped to find it 170 so I could foil for another hour then eat.

Cranked heat to 275 and foiled, got meat to 210 but just not enough time to make it pullable...so chopped into burnt end size pieces and there was so much bark that it felt like burnt ends!

The ribs kinda stole the show anyway.. Survived the flameout and restart with no apparent harm. Been a while since I'd made these and they didn't disappoint!
        Attached Files

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice recovery! Ribs look awesome. Chuck burnt ends look awesome too

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, a great big wonderful mistake!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here